Top College Physics and Calculus Textbook Recommendations | Affordable Options

In summary, for a good second level college physics textbook, "Physics: Algebra/Trig" by Eugene Hecht is recommended. For a good first semester Calculus book, "Calculus" by Thomas, "Hughes-hallet," or "Ostebee and Zorn" are all decent options. "Calculus Early Transcendentals" by Stewart is also a good choice, but may be more challenging for self-study. "Calculus" by Michael Spivak is highly recommended for its in-depth coverage, but may be more difficult for beginners. It is suggested to get a solutions manual and possibly another book as a reference. For physics, "University Physics" by Hugh Young or "Physics for Scientists and Engineers
gr3gg0r
I need a recommendation on a good second level college physics textbook. Pretty much any price range is fine. Also, i would like a recommendation for a good first semester Calculus book. Thanks to all who help out!

Physics news on Phys.org
Second level, what text was used for the first and we can make suggestions.

This is the book from my first level class:

Physics: Algebra/Trig
by Eugene Hecht
ISBN: 0534261000

for the calculus, i just need a good introductory level book.

Thanks!

Halliday, Resnik and Krane or Serway or Sears and Zemansky are all fairly decent calculus based books to work from.

Calculus i use Thomas' 9th Edition. Its ok, also Hughes-hallet. Those are the books I have used, they seem pretty decent.

For Physics, I use Knight. It is a calculus based approach, but the calculus is just basic derivatives and integrals. Aside from mastering physics, it is a pretty good book. There are at least 4 volumes though, it is a really long book. I think volumes 3-4 are the second level ones though.

For calculus I recommend an older edition of one of Stewarts books along with a solutions manual for the book. Also stewart has a few books, I'd get one that covers single and multivariable calculus, that way you can learn more. I recommend looking on ebay or amazon.

I have read and worked through all 1168 pages of Stewart's Calculus Early Transcendentals 5th Edition including the appendix and I think it does a very good job. It really helps to have the solutions manual if you are doing self study also. When I took multivariable Calculus I had a horrible teacher and I was essentially learning on my own. Stewart's book helped me through the course with it's excellent pictures and explanations.

The only other book I have read on Calculus is Michael Spivak's Calculus. I don't think that it is very good for self study if don't know anything about Calculus and want to learn it quickly. The examples are really interesting but the material is too difficult I think if you know nothing about calculus. It would take a very long time to read it front to back without knowing any calculus I think.

I also own a copy of Calculus by Ostebee and Zorn, I got it for a few dollars off ebay. I have only read the section on Limits and it seems extremely easy to read. However, I already know Calculus so I can't comment on how good it is for learning from scratch.

Maybe a good idea is to get stewarts book with a solutions manual along with another book from ebay. Books are very cheap there. If not try amazon. It's always a good idea to have more than one reference when you get stuck. Also there is the internet too to help as a reference when you get stuck.

Last edited:
Thanks Eratosthenes, i looked into both of those books (Stewart's Calculus Early Transcendentals 5th Edition, & Michael Spivak's Calculus). I'm kind of leaning towards Spivak's book after reading reviews on amazon.com. I plan on using it for self study, so I'm a little hesitant since you said that may not be a good idea with this book.

Does anyone else have any suggestions or comments about either of these books? or any others? Thanks!

Ohanian is also a pretty good calculus based Physics book.
University Physics from Hugh Young is exhaustive covering in depth almost all topics. I think this was mentioned earlier (Sears and Zemanswki).

gr3gg0r said:
Thanks Eratosthenes, i looked into both of those books (Stewart's Calculus Early Transcendentals 5th Edition, & Michael Spivak's Calculus). I'm kind of leaning towards Spivak's book after reading reviews on amazon.com. I plan on using it for self study, so I'm a little hesitant since you said that may not be a good idea with this book.

Does anyone else have any suggestions or comments about either of these books? or any others? Thanks!

Np.

Well Michael Spivak's book is worth buying regardless. I bought it off amazon along with the answer book, it's called "Answer book for calculus" and cost $35. The total cost for both books was $105 plus shipping but it was well worth it. If you are serious about mathematics it is a good investment.

The problem with Spivaks book is that it takes a lot of time and effort and you might get discouraged.

If you know nothing about Calculus I think you will learn more concepts reading stewarts book than spivak's simply because you will be able to work through stewarts quicker. I think Stewarts is the most widely used book in the US for Calculus 1, 2, and 3 at universities. I think that's a good indication that it at least does a decent job of teaching the basic concepts and ideas.

Maybe the solution is to get both books. After reading spivaks book for an hour reading stewart will seem like a joke:)

BTW I think Stewarts 5th Edition is more expensive than the 4th edition. You might be able to get the 4th edition for a lot less along with a solutions manual. The only reason I have the 5th edition is because I needed it for three courses I took. If I was purchasing something for self study I would get the 4th edition or older as long as I could get a solutions manual with whatever I got.

As for physics books I used Serway and Jewett's Physics for scientist and engineers for 2 semesters of physics. I like you was learning Calculus at the same time I was learning Physics, and the physics book was much harder to read than stewarts book. I had a really hard time with physics but I think it's because I was learning Calculus at the same time. I actually read part of chapter 7 of Serway and Jewett's tonight because I was helping a friend and it is much more readable to me now than it was when I first used it.

For the calculs books, it had also crossed my mind to pick them both up. Perhaps that is what i will do, i'll have to see how much money i have in the next few days. (i would probably just get the 5th edition because i like new stuff :) ) Of course I'm still open to suggestions.

For the physics book, that would also be self study. I'll look into University Physics, and the others that were mentionsed as well.

I'm not actually enrolled in school right now because in the next month or so i should be leaving my area for about 2 years, but i took physics B ap in high school, and i really enjoy that class, and I've always enjoyed math. I figured i would get a head start so when i get back i'll be able to jump right back on where i left off.

You can also get spivak's book directly from the publisher, they give a 10% discount and shipping is FREE. I think the book w/ answer book comes to $94.50... or, you can always get one used for much less.

Warning... his book assumes you know some of the logic behind proofs already (ie: contrapositive etc.. )

It is highly recommended though... some other good ones for calc are apostol and courant.

thanks mathstudent, i'll look into the publisher and see if i can find it there

ramollari said:
Ohanian is also a pretty good calculus based Physics book.
University Physics from Hugh Young is exhaustive covering in depth almost all topics. I think this was mentioned earlier (Sears and Zemanswki).

^^

Probably the best book, I'd recommend that also..
There's also a companion book that goes with it..

gr3gg0r said:
I need a recommendation on a good second level college physics textbook. Pretty much any price range is fine. Also, i would like a recommendation for a good first semester Calculus book. Thanks to all who help out!
If you're cheap, like me, go out and buy Schaum's Outline of Physics for Scientists and Engineers and Schaum's Outline of Engineering Mechanics.

Forgot to mention, the publisher's website for the spivak book is www.mathpop.com

i recommend the 2nd edition of stewart. it went downhill after that. spivak is a thousand times better. on a different level entirely. stewart is a joke compared to spivak. i.e. stewart (2nd edition) is a good non honors book. spivak is an excellent super honors book,(not just regular honors).

1. What are the top recommended college physics and calculus textbooks?

The top recommended college physics textbooks are "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker, and "College Physics" by Serway and Vuille. The top recommended calculus textbooks are "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by Stewart, "Calculus" by Larson and Edwards, and "Calculus: A Complete Course" by Adams, Essex, and Davis.

2. Are there any affordable options for college physics and calculus textbooks?

Yes, there are several affordable options for college physics and calculus textbooks. Some options include purchasing used textbooks, renting textbooks, or purchasing digital versions of the textbooks. Additionally, some textbooks offer an international edition at a lower cost.

3. What makes these textbooks the top recommendations?

These textbooks are considered the top recommendations based on their comprehensive coverage of the subject matter, clear explanations, and helpful practice problems and examples. They also have a good balance of theory and application, making them suitable for both beginners and advanced students.

4. Are there any newer editions of these textbooks available?

Yes, many of these textbooks have newer editions available. However, the content and concepts covered in the older editions are still relevant and useful for learning. It is recommended to check with the instructor or syllabus to see if a newer edition is required for the course.

5. Can I use these textbooks for self-study?

Yes, these textbooks can be used for self-study. They are designed to be comprehensive and easy to follow, making them suitable for independent learning. However, it is recommended to also use additional resources such as online tutorials or study guides to supplement the textbook learning.