Capacitance varying with temperature.

In summary: So the final result would be dx/xdT=ε_0α?In summary, the task is to design a capacitor that maintains constant capacitance in a fluctuating temperature environment. By differentiating the equation for capacitance with respect to temperature and equating it to zero, a relation between the infinitesimal changes in area and plate separation can be obtained. Using the coefficient of thermal expansion of area, the coefficient of linear expansion for the plastic spacers can be calculated. This value should be used to prevent any changes in the plate separation.
Jonnyto

Homework Statement

A capacitor is to be designed to operate, with constant capacitance, in an environment of fluctuating temperature. As shown in Fig. 23, the capacitor is a parallel-plate type with plastic "spacers" to keep the plates aligned. (a) Show that the rate of change of capacitance C with temperature T is given by

dC/dT= C[dA/AdT - dx/xdt]

where A is the plate area and x the plate separation. (b) If the plates are aluminum, what should be the coefficient of thermal expansion of the spacers in order that the capacitance not vary with temperature? (Ignore the effect of the spacers on the capacitance)

Homework Equations

C=Q/V C=εA/d

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to approach the problem. So far I can only tell that the temperature is causing the area change and I'm assuming that it's also causing the plates to move away or towards each other.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is known that [itex]C=ε_0\frac{A}{d}[/itex] right? Now differentiate this with respect to temperature (using chain rule to obtain the required result; If you have not learned chain rule yet, go through your maths textbook. I'm sure you'll get it there.)

Assuming that the plates are ultra-thin (i.e. they have negligible thickness) x doesn't change with temperature. So, the spacers should simply prevent A from changing.

P.S. Could you please upload the diagram ( a rough sketch is fine). I'm not able to visualize the spacers.

Okay I have attached the diagrams. How would I go about differentiating with respect to Capacitance and Temperature.

Attachments

• spacer.JPG
    spacer.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 455
Jonnyto said:
Okay I have attached the diagrams. How would I go about differentiating with respect to Capacitance and Temperature.

Just so the I can answer to your queries better, have you learned about product rule, quotient rule and chain rule in differentiation?

Yes I have.

In that case you need to differentiate ε0A/x w.r.t. T. Use chain rule and quotient rule here.

For the capacitance to not change with temperature, the expression for dC/dT should be equated to zero (because capacitance should remain constant according to your question).

Thus you can obtain a relation between the infinitesimal change in area w.r.t. T (dA/dT) and the infinitesimal change in x with respect to temperature(dx/dt). You can find dA/Adt using tables (that is simply the coefficient of thermal expansion of area). Thus you can find dx/xdT.

Edit: dx/xdT is the coefficient of linear expansion of the plastic.

Sunil Simha said:
In that case you need to differentiate ε0A/x w.r.t. T. Use chain rule and quotient rule here.

For the capacitance to not change with temperature, the expression for dC/dT should be equated to zero (because capacitance should remain constant according to your question).

Thus you can obtain a relation between the infinitesimal change in area w.r.t. T (dA/dT) and the infinitesimal change in x with respect to temperature(dx/dt). You can find dA/Adt using tables (that is simply the coefficient of thermal expansion of area). Thus you can find dx/xdT.

Edit: dx/xdT is the coefficient of linear expansion of the plastic.
Ahh! Thank you so much! I had no idea about the linear expansion.

1. How does temperature affect capacitance?

The capacitance of a material increases with an increase in temperature. This is because as the temperature increases, the atoms within the material vibrate more vigorously, causing the distance between them to increase. This increased distance allows for more charge to be stored, resulting in an increase in capacitance.

2. Does capacitance always increase with temperature?

No, in some materials, the opposite is true. Certain materials, such as semiconductors, have a decrease in capacitance with an increase in temperature. This is because the increase in temperature causes the material to become more conductive, allowing for more current to flow and reducing the ability to store charge.

3. Is the change in capacitance with temperature linear?

In most cases, the change in capacitance with temperature is not linear. The relationship between capacitance and temperature is often described by a curve, where the change in capacitance is more significant at higher temperatures and less significant at lower temperatures.

4. How does temperature affect the dielectric constant of a material?

The dielectric constant of a material, which is a measure of its ability to store charge, also changes with temperature. As the temperature increases, the dielectric constant of most materials decreases. This is due to the increased movement of atoms, which can disrupt the alignment of dipoles within the material and reduce its ability to store charge.

5. How does temperature affect the time constant in a RC circuit?

The time constant in a RC circuit, which is a measure of how quickly the capacitor charges or discharges, is also affected by temperature. As the temperature increases, the time constant decreases, resulting in faster charging and discharging of the capacitor. This is because the increased temperature allows for more current to flow, reducing the time it takes for the capacitor to reach its maximum charge or discharge.