How to calculate thevenin's equivalent resistance

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Thevenin equivalent resistance using a delta/star transformation. The expert suggests simplifying the circuit by shorting out the supplies and redrawing it, which leads to an easy solution. The final answer is found to be 1.33 ohms. The expert confirms that this is the correct method and the conversation ends with gratitude from the person seeking help.
hussain bani
when i short the batteries to find the rth, i can't get whether is should put delta to star transformation to find thevenines resistance?
can some one tell me how to calculate thevenines equivalent resistance in the figure shown... step by step

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It would help if there were actually a figure

Thevenine

Am uploading this word file it contains the image..:-)

Attachments

• Doc1.docx
    53.4 KB · Views: 290
Why do you think you need a delta/star transform? You have simple series and parallel resistors. The problem reduces to an extraordinarily simple one. You should try redrawing the circuit with the supplies shorted out.

thevenine

so whT WILL BE nswer after shorting them and finding thevenine equivalent reistance across terninal a and b?
mine is coming 1.33 ohms, is it rite?

hussain bani said:
so whT WILL BE nswer after shorting them and finding thevenine equivalent reistance across terninal a and b?
mine is coming 1.33 ohms, is it rite?

Yes. See how easy that was?

thevenines

i solved 4 and 2 in parallel, and 10 parallel with ze0r, so automatically ans is 0 of 10 iin parallel with zero, so the only thing left was 4 in parallel with 2, that's is 1.33.
this is correct method right?

hussain bani said:
i solved 4 and 2 in parallel, and 10 parallel with ze0r, so automatically ans is 0 of 10 iin parallel with zero, so the only thing left was 4 in parallel with 2, that's is 1.33.
this is correct method right?

Yes. See how easy that was?

thevenines

yeah got it.. thanks alot..:-)

1. What is Thevenin's Theorem?

Thevenin's Theorem is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that states that any linear, two-terminal circuit can be simplified into an equivalent circuit consisting of a single voltage source and a single resistance. This simplification allows for easier analysis of complex circuits.

2. How do you calculate Thevenin's equivalent resistance?

Thevenin's equivalent resistance (RThevenin) can be calculated by removing all voltage sources and shorting all current sources in the original circuit, and then finding the total resistance between the two terminals. This can also be done by using Ohm's Law, by dividing the open-circuit voltage (VOC) by the short-circuit current (ISC).

3. What is the significance of Thevenin's equivalent resistance?

Thevenin's equivalent resistance is significant because it allows us to simplify complex circuits and analyze them using basic circuit analysis techniques. It also allows us to find the maximum power that can be transferred from a circuit to a load by using the Maximum Power Transfer Theorem.

4. Can Thevenin's equivalent resistance be negative?

No, Thevenin's equivalent resistance should always be a positive value. Negative values can occur if the original circuit contains negative resistors, which are not physical components and are used only for theoretical purposes.

5. How does Thevenin's equivalent resistance affect the voltage and current in a circuit?

Thevenin's equivalent resistance does not affect the voltage or current in a circuit, as it is simply a simplified representation of the original circuit. The voltage and current in the original circuit will be the same as the voltage and current in the equivalent circuit.