How do appliances handle varying voltage requirements?

• Thread starter Newtons Apple
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, the devices we plug into our house outlets in the US have a step-down transformer or a process called pulse width modulation to convert the 110-120 volts to the required voltage for the device. This is to prevent the device from getting fried. Some devices have multiple voltage requirements, which can be achieved through multiple taps on the transformer. There are also instances where the transformer is inside the device itself. Additionally, pulse width modulation is used in many devices to control the voltage and current levels.
Newtons Apple
Hey everyone. I have a question. If we in the US have 110 -120 volts coming out of our house outlets, and we plug in a device that requires 10 or 12 volts... how does it not get fried? Do all devices have some sort of way of stepping the voltage down further to what it needs? Also I noticed that appliances like TV's and computers have more than 1 voltage requirement. For example, some have 1.1,3,3.5,12,and 15 volts? Why is this, does it switch voltages if it's not doing anything? Isn't 3, and 3.5 close enough? Why not just make the requirement 15 instead of all the smaller voltages?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Newtons Apple said:
Hey everyone. I have a question. If we in the US have 110 -120 volts coming out of our house outlets, and we plug in a device that requires 10 or 12 volts... how does it not get fried?

Why do you think it doesn't.

Oh ... you probably think that because the DEVICE requires, say 12 volts, that the thing you plug in the wall requires 12 volts. It doesn't. It's called a transformer and it requires 110v in so as to convert it the the 12 volts that the device needs.

If you plug a 12v device into 110 volts with no transformer then you can bet that it will be fried.

Do all devices have some sort of way of stepping the voltage down further to what it needs? Also I noticed that appliances like TV's and computers have more than 1 voltage requirement. For example, some have 1.1,3,3.5,12,and 15 volts? Why is this, does it switch voltages if it's not doing anything? Isn't 3, and 3.5 close enough?

Yes, here you've got it. They all have transformers. Some have multiple-tap transformers so as to perform multiple step-downs.

Why not just make the requirement 15 instead of all the smaller voltages?

Because many devices, particularly semi-conductor devices, would be fried by 15v.

Ohh, I completely forgot that a lot of devices have the thick power plug. Now what about appliances that just have a regular size plug and not the big thick power plug? Looking at my can opener, the cable for it, is just the regular sized power cord. How do these convert the 110v ? I don't think a can opener uses 110 volts straight?

Newtons Apple said:
Ohh, I completely forgot that a lot of devices have the thick power plug. Now what about appliances that just have a regular size plug and not the big thick power plug? Looking at my can opener, the cable for it, is just the regular sized power cord. How do these convert the 110v ? I don't think a can opener uses 110 volts straight?

Why do you think it doesn't? a can opener is a motorized device, not a semiconductor device.

In any event, there can be transformers IN a device --- they don't have to be part of the power plug.

Some devices use the step down transformer, however most devices now use a process called pulse width modulation. By sending pulses you can control the current as well as the voltage levels. Some can openers can use a DC motor utilizing a PWM circuit.

here is a straightfoward circuit and covereage of PWM

http://www.personal.psu.edu/axl17/242l9.pdf

Their are numerous examples for different voltage/current conversions with PWM. Its also used for VFD's soft starters. Your home PC power supply etc

Last edited:

1. What is appliance voltage usage?

Appliance voltage usage refers to the amount of electrical energy that an appliance requires to operate. This is measured in volts and can vary depending on the specific appliance.

2. How do I determine the voltage usage of my appliances?

The voltage usage of an appliance can typically be found on a label or tag attached to the appliance. It may also be listed in the instruction manual or on the manufacturer's website. If you are unable to find this information, you can consult a professional electrician for assistance.

3. Can I use an appliance with a different voltage than my electrical outlet?

No, it is important to match the voltage of your appliance with the voltage of your electrical outlet. Using an appliance with a higher or lower voltage can result in damage to the appliance and potential safety hazards.

4. What happens if I use an appliance with the wrong voltage?

If an appliance is used with the wrong voltage, it can cause damage to the appliance and potentially start a fire. It is important to always check the voltage requirements of an appliance before using it.

5. Are there any appliances that do not require electricity?

Yes, there are some appliances that do not require electricity, such as manual kitchen tools, non-electric heaters, and non-electric sewing machines. However, the majority of household appliances do require electricity to operate.