Can we measure the band energy gap from Fluorescence spectra

In summary, the conversation discusses measuring the band energy gap from fluorescence spectra and inquires about using either the excitation or emission spectra or both for this purpose. The individual also asks for a reference specifically on this subject and confirms using the emission spectra to calculate the energy gap. They also mention finding a discrepancy in the results and needing a reference for beginners or intermediates. However, it is suggested that without knowing the details of the experiment, it is difficult to provide assistance.
jhon
Can we measure the band energy gap from Fluorescence spectra?
If yes, in what way? the excitation spectra or the emission spectra or both

Is there a good reference on this subject specifically
:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks but in what way? the excitation spectra or the emission spectra or both
i'm using emission spectra and i calculate the Eg from wavelength of maximum intensity
does my way correct

and i found the Eg from urbach edge is begger than the Eg from Fluorescence(emission spectra) and i conclude that there is defect in my samples
does my way correct?

i need reference for beginner or intermediate

any one can help ?

You appear to have conducted an actual experiment which has provided results you did not expect.
I don't think anyone can help with that without knowing the details of the experiment itself. Write up what you have so far, formally, and maybe someone will read it over.

I gave you an example where this was done -- did you read it?

1. What is the band energy gap in a material?

The band energy gap, also known as the band gap, is the energy difference between the highest occupied energy level (valence band) and the lowest unoccupied energy level (conduction band) in a material. It represents the minimum energy required for an electron to move from the valence band to the conduction band, which is necessary for the material to conduct electricity.

2. How is the band energy gap related to fluorescence spectra?

The band energy gap is closely related to fluorescence spectra, as it determines the energy and wavelength of light that is emitted when an electron transitions from the conduction band back to the valence band. The larger the band gap, the higher the energy and shorter the wavelength of the emitted light.

3. Can we measure the band energy gap from fluorescence spectra?

Yes, it is possible to measure the band energy gap from fluorescence spectra. By analyzing the wavelength of the emitted light and using the known relationship between band gap and emission energy, the band gap of a material can be determined.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of measuring band energy gap from fluorescence spectra?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of measuring band energy gap from fluorescence spectra, including the purity and quality of the material, the temperature and environment in which the measurement is taken, and the equipment and techniques used for analysis.

5. Why is measuring the band energy gap from fluorescence spectra important?

Measuring the band energy gap from fluorescence spectra is important because it provides valuable information about the electronic properties of a material. It can help in the development and optimization of materials for various applications, such as in solar cells, LEDs, and electronic devices.