Dropped some Water in my Laptop. What to do?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of dropping water on a laptop keyboard and the potential damage it may have caused. The person is seeking advice on the best course of action, as well as sharing a similar experience with a phone dropping in the toilet. Suggestions are given, such as letting it dry out or using compressed air, but there is also concern about potential motherboard damage and the use of static electricity.
Bacle2
Science Advisor
Hi, all:

I dropped some warm water yesterday; around 1.5 ounces in the keyboard of my laptop,
an HP G72: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02623152.pdf . I'm not knowledgeable-enough to experiment when it involves opening-up the computer to inspect for motherboard damage, which is what I think happened.

I used a napkin to dry it out right away, but the computer is not working right; some keys
in the keyboard are typing the incorrect letter and some are not producing any input at all. What's the best thing to do? Please note that I will not be able to answer right away; I borrowed a laptop
and I must return it in a few hours. Any suggestions, please?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I dropped my phone in the toilet once and it dried and worked. I suspect the laptop is more vulnerable. It might be a lost cause if after it completely dries it doesn't work.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I dropped my phone in the toilet once and it dried and worked. I suspect the laptop is more vulnerable. It might be a lost cause if after it completely dries it doesn't work.

Try that with sunglasses that flush down the toilet and block it all up. Toilet had to be removed to dig the damn things out. No damage to the sunglasses - they just became that much more of an expensive brand.

you could let it dry out or use compressed air to dry the keyboard. Removing keycaps may help with getting where the wetness is.

Thanks, RobPhy, all; Re RobPhy's list, I think I can handle most steps, except I'm worried about the issue of static electricityanyone know if putting the computer on top of the AC would help?

open it up, dry it out really well, put it back together. pray a little.

1. How do I know if my laptop has been damaged by water?

There are several signs that can indicate water damage in a laptop. These include the laptop not turning on, strange noises coming from the laptop, or the keyboard not functioning properly. If you suspect water damage, it is best to take your laptop to a professional for assessment.

2. What should I do immediately after spilling water on my laptop?

The first thing you should do is turn off your laptop and unplug it from the power source. Then, remove any external devices and wipe off any visible water on the surface of the laptop. It is important not to try to turn on the laptop or press any buttons, as this can cause further damage.

3. Can I try to dry out my laptop myself?

It is not recommended to try and dry out your laptop yourself. While it may seem like a quick fix, there may be internal damage that you cannot see. Additionally, using heat to dry out the laptop can cause further damage. It is best to take your laptop to a professional for proper cleaning and drying.

4. How long does it take for a laptop to dry out after water damage?

The drying time for a laptop after water damage can vary depending on the severity of the damage and the type of laptop. In some cases, it may take a few days for the laptop to fully dry out. It is important to not try to turn on the laptop until it has been properly dried out to avoid further damage.

5. Can water damage be fixed in a laptop?

In some cases, water damage can be fixed in a laptop. However, it depends on the extent of the damage. It is important to take your laptop to a professional as soon as possible to increase the chances of a successful repair. If the damage is too severe, it may not be possible to fix the laptop and you may need to replace it.