Variation of a derivative?

In summary, as long as the endpoints are not being varied, the relation between \delta q(t) and \delta \dot{q}(t) is simplified to \delta \dot{q}(t)=\frac{d}{dt}\delta q. Differentiation is linear, so any variation in q will result in the same variation in \dot q.
pellman
Suppose we are taking the variation of a multiple integral and the integrand contains some terms with [itex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}[/itex]. When is it ok to put

[itex]\delta\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\delta g)[/itex]

?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a trivial way of showing that what you have written is valid, but I'm guessing you already know it. I'm assuming [itex]\delta[/itex] is dirac, so for [itex]\delta ≠ 0[/itex]:

Since [itex]g_x \rightarrow \frac {\partial g}{\partial x}[/itex], [itex]\delta \cdot g_x = \delta[/itex]([itex]\frac {\partial g}{\partial x}[/itex]) and [itex]\frac {\partial (\delta g)}{\partial x} = \delta g_x[/itex] [itex]\leftrightarrow \delta \frac {\partial g}{\partial x} [/itex], is implied.

Simply put, if you rewrite the terms on either side of your equation you get:

[itex]\delta g_x = \delta g_x[/itex]

Showing it formally would be a little more involved I suppose. The elemental basis of [itex]g_x[/itex] would have to be somewhat disambiguated.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean here. But my delta is not a dirac function. It means here a first order variation.

Any time. You asked "when is it ok to do this", and I assumed that it was always ok to do that since both terms can be rewritten and equate to each other by definition. I'm not sure if if I'm oversimplifying the question, but unless there is a bound-problem with [itex]g_x[/itex] this seems to be more a matter of semantics than theory/concept.

I am still interested in this question. Spelling it out a little better:

Suppose we have a functional

[tex]J[q]=\int^{t_2}_{t_1}{L\left(q(t),\dot{q}(t)\right)dt}[/tex]

where q can be any function in some appropriate domain of functions. And we take the first variation [itex]\delta J[/itex] by varying the function [itex]q\rightarrow q+\delta q[/itex]. Under what conditions can we put [itex]\delta \dot{q}=\frac{d}{dt}(\delta q)[/itex] ?

Last edited:
pellman said:
I am still interested in this question. Spelling it out a little better:

Suppose we have a functional

[tex]J[q]=\int^{t_2}_{t_1}{L\left(q(t),\dot{q}(t)\right)dt}[/tex]

where q can be any function in some appropriate domain of functions. And we take the first variation [itex]\delta J[/itex] by varying the function [itex]q\rightarrow q+\delta q[/itex]. Under what conditions can we put [itex]\delta \dot{q}=\frac{d}{dt}(\delta q)[/itex] ?

Always.

If [itex]q \to q + \delta q[/itex] then [itex]\dot q \to \frac{d}{dt} (q + \delta q) = \dot q + \frac{d}{dt} (\delta q)[/itex]. The change in [itex]\dot q[/itex] is then by definition [itex]\delta \dot q = \frac{d}{dt}(q + \delta q) - \dot q = \frac{d}{dt}(\delta q)[/itex].

Likes dsaun777 and pellman
But if we also are making a variation of the parameter [itex]t \rightarrow t+\delta t[/itex] this can complicate the relation between [itex]\delta q(t)[/itex] and [itex]\delta \dot{q}(t)[/itex], right? I just wanted to be sure that as long as the endpoints are not being varied, then [itex]\delta \dot{q}(t)=\frac{d}{dt}\delta q[/itex] and that I wasn't overlooking some other possible complication.

pellman said:
But if we also are making a variation of the parameter [itex]t \rightarrow t+\delta t[/itex] this can complicate the relation between [itex]\delta q(t)[/itex] and [itex]\delta \dot{q}(t)[/itex], right?

No.

If you vary a function [itex]q \to q + \delta q[/itex] then the variation in [itex]\dot q[/itex] is fixed as soon as you choose [itex]\delta q[/itex]. Differentiation is a function of a function; if [itex]D(q) = q'[/itex] then [itex]D(q + \delta q) = (q + \delta q)' = q' + (\delta q)'[/itex] because the derivative is linear.

Remember that [itex]\delta q[/itex] is the difference between the new [itex]q[/itex] and the old; thus if you have [itex]q \to q \circ f + r[/itex] then [itex]\delta q = q \circ f + r - q[/itex]. Then [itex]q' \to (q \circ f)' + r'[/itex] and [itex]\delta (q') = (q \circ f)' + r' - q' = (\delta q)'[/itex].

Likes 1 person

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is commonly used in calculus to find the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. What is the variation of a derivative?

The variation of a derivative refers to how the value of a derivative changes as the input of a function changes. This helps us understand how the rate of change of a function is affected by changes in its input.

3. How is the variation of a derivative calculated?

The variation of a derivative can be calculated by taking the derivative of the original function and then evaluating it at the desired point. This will give us the slope of the function at that point.

4. What does a positive/negative variation of a derivative indicate?

A positive variation of a derivative indicates that the rate of change of a function is increasing, while a negative variation indicates that the rate of change is decreasing. This can help us understand the behavior of a function and its direction of change.

5. What is the significance of the variation of a derivative in real-world applications?

The variation of a derivative is important in many real-world applications, such as physics and economics. It can help us understand the rate of change of quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and cost, and how they are affected by different factors.