Poisson bracket and Electric and Magnetic Weyl tensor in GR

In summary: From "Dynamical Theory of Groups and Fields" by Bryce DeWitt: Now that we have defined the electric and magnetic parts of the Riemann tensor, we need to express these in terms of the analogous parts of Weyl. We do this by multiplying each element of Eij by (1/4)i and each element of Hij by (1/4)εkmn. This gives us: [Eij , Ek'l'] = [Hij , Hk'l'] = (1/4)i (tik tjl + til tjk - tij tkl) ∇4 G(x, x') [Eij , Hk
nix00
In order to understand how related are the theories of General Relativity and Electromagnetism, I am looking at the electric and magnetic parts of the Weyl tensor (in the ADM formalism) and compare them with the ones from Maxwell's theory.

I have tried to look at the Poisson bracket, but the computations are long and there are many possibilities for me to have made a mistake.

Do you know if it has been done somewhere ?

(a research on internet gives a lot of results for $E_{ab}$ and $B_{ab}$ but no one talks about the Poisson brackets)

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Robphy for your answer, but you may have misunderstood the meaning of E_{ab} which is not related here to the densitized triad used in the Ashtekar variables. It's true I can reexpress the components in terms of these variables, but I am still looking at an expression for the Poisson brackets.

I understood E_{ab} as the electric-part of Weyl.
I haven't seen the Poisson bracket expressions involving E_{ab} and B_{ab}.
However, it may be that the methods in the links I posted show analogues of the calculation you seek.

[Personally, I have been curious about the so-called quasi-Maxwell equations,
where the gravitational field equations can be cast into a form which resembles those from electromagnetism:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=691492#post691492 ]

Likes askirz
I am currently looking at this so-called quasi-Maxwell equations :smile:
They are simply derived from a geometric point of view, without referring to the Einstein's equations, expressed either in terms of the spatial metric and its conjugate momentum (q_{ab}, P^{cd}) or in terms of the Ashtekar variables (A^i_a, E^b_j). In both cases, I know how to deal with the Poisson brackets for these variables but because the electric and magnetic part of the Weyl tensor involve them in a really complicated way, I don't know if my results are correct or not :smile: In your link you mention the book by Hawking and Ellis, I will look at it. Thanks for your comments

From "Dynamical Theory of Groups and Fields" by Bryce DeWitt:

Define the electric and magnetic parts of the Riemann tensor: Eij = Ri0j0, Hij = ½ εikl Rklj0

He gives the commutators as: (don't ask me to derive 'em - I just work here! :smile:)
[Eij , Ek'l'] = [Hij , Hk'l'] = (1/4)i (tik tjl + til tjk - tij tkl) ∇4 G(x, x')
[Eij , Hk'l'] = - [Hij , Ek'l'] = (1/4) εkmn (tim tjl + til tjm - tij tml) ∇2 G,0n(x, x')

where tij is the tranverse field projection operator: tij = δij - (∂/∂xi) ∇-2 (∂/∂xj), and ∇-2 is the Green's function for the Laplacian operator. G(x, x') is the "commutator Green's function" (often written G~) of the wave equation for m = 0.

(The primes on the indices indicate location: Eij is at point x, while Ek'l' is at point x'.)

Last edited:
Thanks, I am working on it.

1. What is a Poisson bracket?

A Poisson bracket is a mathematical operation used in classical mechanics to describe the time evolution of a physical system. It is based on the concept of a phase space, which represents all possible states that a system can be in. The Poisson bracket allows us to calculate the rates of change of these states over time.

2. How is the Poisson bracket used in General Relativity (GR)?

In GR, the Poisson bracket is used to describe the time evolution of the gravitational field. It is used to calculate the rates of change of the gravitational field components, which are represented by mathematical objects called tensors. This allows us to understand how the gravitational field changes in response to the presence of matter and energy.

3. What is the Electric Weyl tensor in GR?

The Electric Weyl tensor is a mathematical object that describes the electric part of the gravitational field in GR. It is a part of the Weyl tensor, which represents the curvature of spacetime. The Electric Weyl tensor is important in understanding how electrically charged objects interact with the gravitational field.

4. What is the Magnetic Weyl tensor in GR?

The Magnetic Weyl tensor is another part of the Weyl tensor that describes the magnetic part of the gravitational field in GR. This tensor is important in understanding how magnetized objects interact with the gravitational field. Together, the Electric and Magnetic Weyl tensors give a full description of the gravitational field.

5. How are the Electric and Magnetic Weyl tensors related to each other?

The Electric and Magnetic Weyl tensors are related to each other through a mathematical operation called duality transformation. This transformation allows us to switch between the electric and magnetic parts of the gravitational field. In other words, the Electric Weyl tensor can be transformed into the Magnetic Weyl tensor and vice versa.