'Expansion' of fluid world lines

In summary, The expression ∇·u is called an expansion of the fluid world lines because it represents the rate of change of volume per unit volume along the worldline of a fluid element. This can be shown by using the continuity equation and assuming negligible divergence of density. Wheeler and Ciufolini's "Gravitation and Inertia" also offers a geometric description of hydrodynamical quantities in GR, starting in section 4.5.
zn5252
hello
In MTW excercise 22.6, given a fluid 4-velocity u, why the expression :
∇.u is called an expansion of the fluid world lines ?

Is the following reasoning correct ?

We know that the commutator : ∇BA - ∇AB is (see MTW box 9.2) is the failure of the quadrilateral formed by the vectors A and B to close.

Now If we apply this to the expression of the fluid world lines I would get :

eσu - ∇ue = ∇eσu since a freely falling observer Fermi-Walker transports its own spatial basis (see MTW page 218) thus one can conclude that the quadrilateral formed by the time segment and the velocity segment does not close which means that the fluid expands 'or contracts'.

Regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
zn5252 said:
In MTW excercise 22.6, given a fluid 4-velocity u, why the expression : ∇·u is called an expansion of the fluid world lines ?
This quote from Ex. 22.6 explains why:

Exercise 22.1 showed that the expansion θ = ∇·u describes the rate of increase of the volume of a fluid element.

Likes 1 person
One can show that ##\nabla_a u^a = \frac{1}{V}u^a \nabla_a V## where ##V## is an infinitesimal space-time volume carried along the worldline of some fluid element. So ##\nabla_a u^a## represents the rate of change of said volume per unit volume along the worldline of some fluid element.

Likes 1 person
Bill_K said:
This quote from Ex. 22.6 explains why:

Oh I see Bill. I did not get to part b) yet .

WannabeNewton said:
One can show that ##\nabla_a u^a = \frac{1}{V}u^a \nabla_a V## where ##V## is an infinitesimal space-time volume carried along the worldline of some fluid element. So ##\nabla_a u^a## represents the rate of change of said volume per unit volume along the worldline of some fluid element.

Indeed this is what part b) mentions. Thanks !

Cool! Have fun with the exercise :) MTW has the solution to 22.1 right below, if you're interested as to why the above is true.

WannabeNewton said:
Cool! Have fun with the exercise :) MTW has the solution to 22.1 right below, if you're interested as to why the above is true.

Indeed I saw it and also attempted to derive my own which yielded the correct result based on the continuity equation and on the assumption that the divergence of the density is negligible...

WannabeNewton said:
Nice! We had a similar thread a while back that you might be interested in, where everything was done in a coordinate-free manner: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=702266&highlight=physical+description+concepts

Also, if you have access to Wheeler and Ciufolini's "Gravitation and Inertia", they give a very nice geometric description of hydrodynamical quantities in GR starting in section 4.5 (p.234).

Great . Thanks ! I have Wheeler and Ciufolini's "Gravitation and Inertia". I will check that out. Thanks for mentioning that.

Anytime broski! :)

1. What is the "expansion" of fluid world lines?

The expansion of fluid world lines refers to the movement and growth of fluid particles in a fluid medium. It describes how the fluid particles move away from each other as the fluid expands.

2. How is the expansion of fluid world lines measured?

The expansion of fluid world lines can be measured using various techniques such as particle image velocimetry, laser Doppler anemometry, and hot-wire anemometry. These methods involve tracking the movement and velocity of fluid particles to determine the expansion rate.

3. What causes the expansion of fluid world lines?

The expansion of fluid world lines is caused by various factors such as temperature changes, pressure differences, and fluid viscosity. These factors can lead to changes in the density and velocity of the fluid particles, resulting in expansion.

4. How does the expansion of fluid world lines affect fluid dynamics?

The expansion of fluid world lines plays a significant role in fluid dynamics as it affects the flow patterns and behavior of fluids. It can influence the formation of vortices, turbulence, and other fluid phenomena, which are important in many natural and industrial processes.

5. Can the expansion of fluid world lines be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the expansion of fluid world lines can be controlled and manipulated using various techniques such as flow control devices, turbulence modeling, and fluid flow simulation. These methods can help engineers and scientists optimize fluid dynamics in different applications.