Solar panel aging and other weird behaviour

In summary: This will cause the panel to drop current and change voltage unpredictably. In addition, the cells may have degraded and lost their ability to convert sunlight into electrical energy.
Artlav
Given: a ~3W monocrystalline solar panel, originally from a panel+battery+light pack from early 90s, spent a decade in a box, then a decade on the roof under the sun and elements, unconnected to anything.

I wanted to finally put it to some use.
The circuit is straightforward - the panel charges a bank of ultracapacitors through a diode, the ultracapacitors then power some LEDs through a buck driver.

However, there are several problems:
1. Current keeps dropping and changing in arcane ways.
For example, i disconnect one lead of the panel and put an ammeter along it. It would be supplying 5-6mA of current. Then, i short circuit the panel for a second, and connect the lead back across the ammeter - it now gives 80mA.
How the heck is that possible?

The current drops again after a while, and just poking pincers across the contacts for a moment gets it going again. It's not the bank - same thing happens with a resistor as the load.

2. The panel is a set of cells in series. If one cell is obscured while others are in full sunlight, the current drops over ten times. It's 10mA with blue sky only, 100mA with the sun on whole panel, but 5-6mA with one of the cells in shadow.

3. The panel gets pretty hot in the direct sunlight - almost 60*C. Not quite strange, but is it supposed to happen? I read that solar cells don't like getting hot - how is it solved then?

3 is straightforward, 2 i suspect is solvable by something called bypass diodes, but I'm completely mystified by 1.
Why does that happen, and how can it be fixed?

In general, what kind of aging effects a panel that spent a decade unconnected in daylight would show?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Artlav said:
In general, what kind of aging effects a panel that spent a decade unconnected in daylight would show?

More than likely the circuit traces and pads between cells are cracked and/or corroded from years of thermal cycling and exposure to moisture.

1. How long do solar panels typically last?

Solar panels can last for 25-30 years on average, but their efficiency may start to decline after 15-20 years. Proper maintenance and care can help extend their lifespan.

2. What causes solar panel aging?

Solar panel aging is mainly caused by exposure to the elements, such as sunlight, rain, wind, and temperature changes. Over time, these factors can cause wear and tear on the panels, reducing their efficiency.

3. Can solar panels stop working completely?

Yes, it is possible for solar panels to completely stop working. This can happen if they are damaged or if their efficiency drops below a certain level. Regular maintenance and inspections can help prevent this from happening.

4. Why do some solar panels exhibit strange behavior?

Solar panels may exhibit strange behavior if they are not functioning properly or if there is an issue with the wiring or connections. Changes in sunlight or temperature can also affect their performance. It is important to monitor and troubleshoot any unusual behavior to ensure optimal efficiency.

5. Can solar panels be repaired?

In most cases, solar panels can be repaired if there is a specific issue or damage. However, if the panels are severely damaged or have reached the end of their lifespan, it may be more cost-effective to replace them. Regular maintenance can help prevent the need for major repairs.