Total derivative with a constraint

Therefore the total derivative would be dW(q,x) = (u(x) + c_q(q,x) + mc_x(q,x)) dx.In summary, Brent is looking to take the total derivative of a function with a constraint and is seeking guidance on how to incorporate the constraint into the total derivative.
Bman12345
Hi there,

I have what I suspect is a straightforward question.

I wish to take the total derivative of the following function:

[itex]W(q,x) = q \cdot u(x) + c(q,x)[/itex]

Subject to the constraint: [itex]\frac{q}{x}[/itex]=[itex]\bar{m}[/itex], where [itex]\bar{m}[/itex] is some constant > 0, and c(q,x) is additively separable.

Without the constraint the total derivative is simply:

[itex] dW(q,x) = u(x) dq + q \cdot u_{x} dx + c_{q}(q,x) dq + c_{x}(q,x) dx [/itex]

My question is: How do I incorporate the constraint?

Thanks for any help!

Brent.

Physics news on Phys.org
The constraint seems to be q = xm, so dq = mdx.

1. What is a total derivative with a constraint?

A total derivative with a constraint is a mathematical concept used to describe the change in a function with respect to a specific variable, while keeping another variable constant. It is an extension of the traditional derivative, which only considers changes in one variable at a time.

2. How is a total derivative with a constraint calculated?

A total derivative with a constraint can be calculated using the concept of implicit differentiation. This involves taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable and using the chain rule to find the total derivative. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using Lagrange multipliers.

3. What is the significance of a total derivative with a constraint?

A total derivative with a constraint is useful in many fields of science and engineering, particularly in optimization problems where certain variables need to be held constant. It allows us to determine how a function changes under specific conditions, which is crucial for making informed decisions and solving real-world problems.

4. What are some common applications of total derivatives with constraints?

Total derivatives with constraints are used in a variety of fields, such as physics, economics, and engineering. Some common applications include determining the maximum or minimum values of a function under certain constraints, analyzing the stability of a system, and optimizing processes in chemistry and biology.

5. Can total derivatives with constraints be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the concept of total derivatives with constraints can be extended to functions with multiple variables and constraints. In these cases, the total derivative is calculated using partial derivatives and the method of Lagrange multipliers. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of how a function changes under various conditions.