Schematic Symbol Help? (SuperSID)

In summary, this circuit is used to detect VLF signals related to ionospheric disturbances. It's a preamp for VLF signals, and has a varistor for attenuating transients and a thermistor for sensing temperature.
mishima
Hi, can anyone help me identify the big blue boxes' schematic symbol? The actual physical component sort of looks like a small inductor or oscillator.

SuperSID Schematic

The purpose of this circuit is to be a preamplifier for VLF signals related to ionospheric disturbances, I believe.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's the symbol for a varistor, I assume it's for attenuating (resistor) transients and shunting (the varistor) transients. A surge protecting device?

My best guess, might not be correct though

Ok, that actually makes sense, the antenna I have connected will get big spikes from CRT monitors and even fluorescent lights if close enough. Probably some other stuff can cause bigger problems.

Hmm, ok...so its kind of like a reusable fuse here? Like it opens a path to ground if current (thus temperature) gets to high? Sorry, I don't know much about electronics.

mishima said:
Hmm, ok...so its kind of like a reusable fuse here? Like it opens a path to ground if current (thus temperature) gets to high? Sorry, I don't know much about electronics.
I don't know what the A inputs are, but it looks like it's used as a temperature sensor to adjust for temperatures differences. (varying temperatures outdoors perhaps?)

From the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermistor link.

A thermistor is a type of resistor whose resistance varies significantly with temperature, more so than in standard resistors. ... Thermistors are widely used as inrush current limiters, temperature sensors, self-resetting overcurrent protectors, and self-regulating heating elements.

The A's are the antenna connections. It's a 1m "small loop" (primarily detects magnetic component of EM radiation) antenna suitable for detecting the transmitted VLF radio signals that are part of submarine communication networks.

The idea is that when a solar flare occurs, the ionosphere is disturbed which also disturbs this network. SID is sudden ionospheric disturbance; this is the second (super) version of a circuit developed by Stanford for mass distribution to high schools for the purpose of space weather education.

mishima said:
The A's are the antenna connections. It's a 1m "small loop" (primarily detects magnetic component of EM radiation) antenna suitable for detecting the transmitted VLF radio signals that are part of submarine communication networks.

The idea is that when a solar flare occurs, the ionosphere is disturbed which also disturbs this network. SID is sudden ionospheric disturbance; this is the second (super) version of a circuit developed by Stanford for mass distribution to high schools for the purpose of space weather education.

Outstanding. What a fun way to learn. :thumbs:

Likes jim hardy
Yes they had a lot of fun building the antenna and seeing the response of fluorescent lights and a CRT tv, and trying to find the VLF stations. I just wish I knew more about the circuit so I could I could explain it to them, heh. I understand at a basic level the circuit is just a preamp, and understand opamps somewhat, but that is about it.

They're clearly surge suppressors, one for normal mode and one common mode.

A 1 m^2 loop doesn't sound big, but nearby lightning strokes generate substantial electro-magnetic fields.
I once returned from a vacation to find in my garage:

In my FM receiver two capacitor-looking devices that coupled the antenna leads were blown apart; they might have been suppressors I don't know for the receiver still worked but sensitivity was degraded.

My two magnetic compasses that i kept near the workbench had got their needles re-magnetized so the red ends pointed south instead of north.

I suspect this circuit designer has a similar experience under his belt...

Thanks for the correction Jim.

What is SuperSID and why is it used?

SuperSID is a type of schematic symbol used in electronics to represent a Super Source Identification Device. It is used to identify and locate sources of electromagnetic interference, such as radio waves, in a circuit.

How do I read and interpret SuperSID schematic symbols?

To read and interpret SuperSID schematic symbols, you will need to understand the basic components of the symbol. These include a ground connection, a signal input, and a signal output. You will also need to understand the various components within the symbol, such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors, and how they interact with each other.

Where can I find SuperSID schematic symbols?

SuperSID schematic symbols can be found in electronics design software, such as Eagle or Altium, or in online libraries and databases. They can also be found in textbooks and reference materials on electronics design.

How do I choose the right SuperSID schematic symbol for my circuit?

The right SuperSID schematic symbol for your circuit will depend on the specific components and functions of your circuit. It is important to carefully research and understand the different types of SuperSID symbols available and choose the one that best fits your circuit’s needs.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using SuperSID schematic symbols?

One common mistake to avoid when using SuperSID schematic symbols is misinterpreting the symbol or using the wrong symbol for your circuit’s needs. It is also important to ensure that all connections and components are accurately represented in the symbol to avoid errors in the circuit design.