Theta ranges for trig substitution

In summary, the use of absolute value bars when taking square roots of trigonometric functions is necessary in order to ensure that the correct answer is obtained, particularly when dealing with problems involving curves or lengths. Ignoring the theta ranges and taking square roots normally may result in incorrect solutions.
freshman2013
My professor, when doing trig substitution in lecture, always defines theta between certain intervals and when he takes the square root, he adds an absolute value bar to the trig function and then makes sure its positive through the interval. For practical purposes, is it necessary to go through all that hassle or might I trip up on a problem If I ignore theta ranges and take square roots normally, will I always get the right answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
"If I ignore theta ranges and take square roots normally, will I always get the right answer? "

No, you won't.

Do as your professor does.

can you give me an example? All the indefinite integrals I encountered, through his exercises as well as in high school, all worked without labeling the theta ranges.

The indefinite integral of trig functions do not require absolute value. However, when there is a square root involved and you want to keep things real, you need absolute value.

freshman2013 said:
can you give me an example?
There was a thread the other day where we wanted to find the length of the curve r=9+9cosθ.
Following through the standard recipe of finding this, we arrive at the integral $$c \int_0^{2\pi} \sqrt{\cos^2\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)}\,d\theta,$$ where ##c## is a constant.

Doing as you say, writing ##\sqrt{\cos^2\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)} = \cos\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)## will give a zero length, which is clearly false.
The right way is of course ##\sqrt{\cos^2\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)} = |\cos\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)|## and this can be integrated by considering the sign of cos(θ/2) over the domain [0,2π].

What are theta ranges for trig substitution?

Theta ranges for trig substitution refer to the values of theta (the variable used in trigonometric functions) that can be substituted in a given integral to make it easier to solve. These ranges typically involve values of theta that result in a complete cycle of a trigonometric function, such as 0 to 2π for sine and cosine, or -π/2 to π/2 for tangent.

Why is trig substitution used?

Trig substitution is used to simplify integrals involving complex algebraic expressions or square roots. By substituting a trigonometric function for a variable in the integral, the expression can be rewritten in terms of simpler trigonometric identities, making it easier to solve.

How do I determine the theta range for a given integral?

The theta range for a given integral can be determined by looking at the algebraic expression or square root within the integral. The range should include values of theta that result in a complete cycle of the involved trigonometric function. If the expression does not involve a specific trigonometric function, the range can be determined based on the overall function (e.g. if the function is even or odd).

Are there any restrictions on theta ranges for trig substitution?

Yes, there are some restrictions on theta ranges for trig substitution. These include avoiding values of theta that result in division by zero, or values that would cause the integral to diverge. Additionally, the range should also be chosen to ensure that the substitution does not result in a more complicated expression than the original integral.

How do I know if a trig substitution is the best approach for solving an integral?

Determining the best approach for solving an integral involves practice and experience. However, a general rule of thumb is to use trig substitution when the integral involves algebraic expressions or square roots that can be simplified using trigonometric identities. It is also helpful to consider the form of the original integral and how it may be transformed by the substitution.