Understanding the Luminosity of Radiative Stars

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that nuclear fusion is not the only factor that determines the luminosity of main-sequence stars. The Wikipedia entry on the mass-luminosity relation is used as a starting point for the discussion, which shows that a basic understanding of a star's luminosity can be obtained without referencing nuclear fusion. This is because a star's luminosity is determined by factors such as temperature, density, and radius. The conversation also mentions the assumptions and simplifications needed to derive the mass-luminosity relation, and how fusion plays a role in the feedback mechanism that sets both luminosity and fusion rate. The conclusion is that the idea of nuclear fusion solely determining a star's luminosity is incorrect.
Ken G said:
It is extremely surprising that it [the luminosity] depends only on the mass, in the sense that it is surprising it does not depend on either R or the fusion physics.

OK, assume you have a randomly varying radiation source in the center. What would the luminosity look like then?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
snorkack said:
Any ideal gas sphere with no inner heat source, no matter how small its mass, would keep contracting at Kelvin-Helmholz timescale to arbitrarily small size and arbitrarily high internal temperature.

Only if it is losing energy i.e. if it is luminous (and then it is strictly speaking not an ideal gas anymore).

Fantasist said:
OK, assume you have a randomly varying radiation source in the center. What would the luminosity look like then?
If you had different physics than an actual star, you could get a different luminosity than actual stars have. But the way fusion really works is, it self-regulates to replace whatever heat is lost by the mechanism I describe. This is why fusion is stable-- if it didn't do this, our Sun would be a very large H-bomb.

Ken G said:
If you had different physics than an actual star, you could get a different luminosity than actual stars have. But the way fusion really works is, it self-regulates to replace whatever heat is lost by the mechanism I describe. This is why fusion is stable-- if it didn't do this, our Sun would be a very large H-bomb.

Your comparison of fusion with a thermostat appears to be paradoxical to me: a thermostat decreases the energy production when the temperature increases, but fusion, on the contrary, increases it, so it is potentially destabilizing. The star is only stabilized by the fact that it expands when it is heated, and in the process cools again due to the work done against its own gravitational field.

Irrespective of the stability issue, the bottom line is that only (and only) radiation is lost from the star which has been produced by some kind of radiative process in the first place, whatever the structure and physics of the star may be (and whatever mass-luminosity relationship you may derive from this).

Fantasist said:
Your comparison of fusion with a thermostat appears to be paradoxical to me: a thermostat decreases the energy production when the temperature increases, but fusion, on the contrary, increases it, so it is potentially destabilizing. The star is only stabilized by the fact that it expands when it is heated, and in the process cools again due to the work done against its own gravitational field.
Yes, but you have to include the entire situation. Fusion, in an environment that expands when it gets hot, acts like a stable thermostat. That's all that has to be true for the situation I described to occur.
Irrespective of the stability issue, the bottom line is that only (and only) radiation is lost from the star which has been produced by some kind of radiative process in the first place, whatever the structure and physics of the star may be (and whatever mass-luminosity relationship you may derive from this).
Yes, radiation is created by processes that create radiation, that is true. But we know that, what I'm saying is something very few people realize: the physics of fusion has little effect on the luminosity of a star that transports energy radiatively and obeys ideal-gas physics. Hopefully, more people know this now.

Fantasist said:

It's always best not to take analogies too far. Both a thermostat and the physics of a star result in the same effect: the regulation of temperature.