Can Wood Melt in Space? Find Out the Surprising Answer Here

• Thread starter SleSSi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wood
In summary, the conversation discusses whether wood can melt in space and the process of destructive distillation. It is explained that wood will not melt, but instead decomposes into charcoal and other by-products when exposed to heat without oxygen. This can lower the ignition point and make it susceptible to catching fire upon reentry into Earth's atmosphere. It is also mentioned that this is one reason why spacecrafts are not made out of wood. The conversation also touches on the idea of using a wooden shuttle for aesthetic purposes and the process of pyrolysis.
SleSSi
Can wood melt if...

dont tell me like you can't do that I am just talkin in like IF you can

now if you get a piece of wood into space, and heat it, without oxygen it can't burn so will it melt? or bend or something? or just do nothing

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you say 'charcoal'? :smile:

What brewnog is talking about, in his usual cryptic style, is the destructive distillation of wood. Wood will not melt. What happens is that the long-chain organic molecules in wood decompose into primarily carbon (charcoal) and methanol (along with other by products). And this does not require air (oxygen), so it will happen far out in space as well.

Gokul43201 said:
What brewnog is talking about, in his usual cryptic style, is the destructive distillation of wood. Wood will not melt. What happens is that the long-chain organic molecules in wood decompose into primarily carbon (charcoal) and methanol (along with other by products). And this does not require air (oxygen), so it will happen far out in space as well.
And this lowers the ignition point. So if you brought the wood back from space, the heat of reentry could ignite it. That is one reason (of many) we don't build spacecraft out of wood.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
And this lowers the ignition point. So if you brought the wood back from space, the heat of reentry could ignite it.

Interesting stuff. Approximately what might you expect the ignition point would drop to?

That is one reason (of many) we don't build spacecraft out of wood.

Ha, yes. It's a pity because I think a behemoth oak shuttle would have a certain aesthetic quality to it...

brewnog said:
Interesting stuff. Approximately what might you expect the ignition point would drop to?
It depends. It can get down to 200-250 C I believe. The phenomenon is called pyrolysis. Wood exposed to long term heat from being too close to hot chimneys (particularly uninsulated stovepipes) can ignite from just the chimney heat eventually. I had a case once of a house fire caused by improper placement of a woodburning furnace flue (2 inches from some studs). The whole house went up. Interesting case.

Ha, yes. It's a pity because I think a behemoth oak shuttle would have a certain aesthetic quality to it...
Not for long.

AM

If you had a multi-stage shuttle you can have a wooden one take it to a certain altitude (like the Spruce Goose) which would then deploy a next stage shuttle the rest of the way.

i didnt understand a word either of you said ill just leave it at charcoal :smile:

Place a wood chip in a tightly sealed can with a single small hole in the lid. Then apply heat, the air in the can will be (for the most part) driven out by the heavier vapors produced by the hot wood. Once the process is under way you can burn the gases as they exit the can by holding a match to the hole in the lid. The vapors inside the can will not ignite due to a lack of Oxygen. What is left inside, after the flame goes out, is charcoal.

1. Can wood melt if exposed to high temperatures?

Yes, wood can melt if exposed to high enough temperatures. The exact temperature at which wood melts depends on the type of wood, but it is typically around 1,100-1,300 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Can wood melt if placed in a fire?

Yes, wood can melt if placed in a fire. The heat from the fire can raise the temperature of the wood to the point where it begins to melt.

3. Can wood melt if heated in a controlled environment?

Yes, wood can still melt if heated in a controlled environment. Even if the temperature is carefully monitored, the wood can still reach a high enough temperature to melt.

4. Can wood melt if exposed to extreme pressure and heat?

No, wood cannot melt under extreme pressure and heat. Instead, it will undergo a process called pyrolysis, where it breaks down into smaller molecules and releases gases.

5. Can wood melt at room temperature?

No, wood cannot melt at room temperature. It requires a significant amount of heat to reach its melting point, which is well above room temperature.