Question about spectroscopic notation

In summary, there are different notations for multi-electron orbitals, including the standard notation of 2S+1XJ and notation that appends nlx in front of the standard notation. The extra superscript 0 in the Slater notation indicates odd parity, while even parity does not have a superscript. There is some uncertainty and confusion surrounding these notations, but the basic meaning of the singlet notation remains the same.
Kalimaa23
Greetings,

I'm a bit confused about the notation for multi-electron orbitals.
For example, you have the notation

[tex]^{1}D_{2}[/tex],

which mean a singlet with S=0 L=2, J=2, right?

Now I've come across the notation (in Slater)

[tex]^{1}D_{2}^{0}[/tex]

What's the deal with the extra superscript 0?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The std. notation, as I'm sure you know is 2S+1XJ, where X = S,P,D,F.

I've also come across notation that appends nlx in front of the std. notation. Where this extra addition is simply the configuration of the outermost subshell.

I have no idea what notation Slater is using. But keep in mind that he is a physicist (and hence loathes spectroscopists despite feeding off their data :wink:) and nearly all his books were written in the 60s (or thereabouts).

Dimitri Terryn said:
[tex]^{1}D_{2}[/tex],

which mean a singlet with S=0 L=2, J=2, right?
This is correct. Until better info comes along, you can feel safe ignoring the 0.

The superscript o after the subshell indicates odd parity. When the parity is even, there is no superscript. I hesitate to venture further, because it's a little fuzzy to me as well. I think that the odd parity results if you get a negative value when summing spins, like if you have a total negative spin. This thread is so old, I don't know if anybody even cares.

Does it have a specific meaning?

Hello there,

Thank you for your question about spectroscopic notation. You are correct in your understanding of the notation ^{1}D_{2}, which represents a singlet state with S=0, L=2, and J=2. The superscript 1 indicates the multiplicity of the state, in this case singlet. The subscript D represents the orbital angular momentum quantum number, which in this case is 2. The extra superscript 0 that you have come across in Slater notation refers to the number of electrons in the orbital. In this case, it means that there are 0 electrons in this particular orbital, also known as an empty orbital. This notation is commonly used in atomic and molecular spectroscopy to represent different electronic configurations of atoms and molecules. I hope this helps clarify the notation for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is spectroscopic notation?

Spectroscopic notation is a way of representing the energy levels of an atom or molecule using letters and numbers. It is commonly used in chemistry and physics to describe the arrangement of electrons within an atom or molecule.

What do the letters and numbers in spectroscopic notation represent?

The letters in spectroscopic notation represent the different energy levels, or orbitals, within an atom or molecule. The numbers represent the number of electrons in each orbital. For example, the letter "s" represents the first energy level, while the number "2" represents the two electrons in that level.

How is spectroscopic notation related to the periodic table?

Spectroscopic notation is related to the periodic table because it is based on the arrangement of electrons within an atom. The periodic table is organized by increasing atomic number, which is a result of the number of electrons in an atom. This order is reflected in the spectroscopic notation for each element.

What is the significance of the order of the letters in spectroscopic notation?

The order of the letters in spectroscopic notation represents the energy levels in order of increasing energy. The first energy level is represented by the letter "s", followed by "p", "d", and "f" for the subsequent energy levels. This order is based on the energy levels of the electrons within an atom or molecule.

Why is spectroscopic notation useful?

Spectroscopic notation is useful because it provides a way to describe the arrangement of electrons in an atom or molecule in a concise and organized manner. It allows scientists to easily compare and contrast the energy levels of different elements and molecules, and it can also be used to predict the chemical and physical properties of these substances.