How Do Equipotential Lines Relate to Electric Fields and Forces?

• Thread starter hotstuff
  • Start date
In summary, an electric potential is a line of constant electric potential. Electric force is the force that acts on an object due to the electric potential. Electric potential and electric force are related by F = -\frac{dV}{dx}.
hotstuff
hey all i am new on here and i have to say after searching for helpful websites with no luck i am gald i found this one. My nigghtmare this summer is physics, no mtter how much i read the material it does not click to me. i need someone to "break it down". my problem right now is the electric field thing. what exactly is an equipotential and how does it relate to electric fied, what is the relationship btw electric potential and electric force, how dot hey affect each other u know concepts like these drive me nuts, if anyone can help to clarify, your 2cent is greatly appreciated. thks

Physics news on Phys.org
Equipotentials are lines of constant electric potential. Do you know what contour lines on a map are? They are lines that join together points of equal height. Equipotentials can be thought of in the same way.

The electric potential, V is related to the electric force F by [itex]F = -\nabla V[/itex], or in one direction,

[tex]F = -\frac{dV}{dx}[/tex]

hotstuff said:
My nigghtmare this summer is physics, no mtter how much i read the material it does not click to me. i need someone to "break it down".

When I have run into difficulties I reach out to other sources to help me understand the concept that is challenging my brain. Many physical concepts don't click for me. This leaves me with a choice to engage in the learning experience or bail. This is a constant balancing act. A part of life.

I was fortunate to have started my science career in an applied mechanics field so my introduction to many concepts was from a hands-on approach. My intro to electricitry textbook uses the water pressure and velocity analogy to help better understand elctricity potential.

I would recommend that you look at some more basic texts and "break down" the physics principle on your own. You can't expect someone to do this for you. I still use the books written for "dummies" which you often see in book stores. They are very refreshing from the dry text that we often see. The dry text is the goal (make sure it's a good one), you've got to do some footwork to understand it. Good Luck, turn it into an adventure in place of a nightmare. Attitude is inportant.

1. What does "clarify" mean in this context?

To clarify means to make something clearer or easier to understand. In this context, it is asking for someone to explain or provide more information about something.

2. Why is the person asking for help instead of researching on their own?

There could be many reasons why someone may ask for help rather than researching on their own. They may not have access to the necessary resources or expertise, they may be pressed for time, or they may simply prefer to get an explanation from someone who is knowledgeable on the subject.

3. Can someone provide an example of what needs to be clarified?

An example of something that may need to be clarified could be a complex scientific concept or a confusing set of instructions. It could also be a topic that the person is not familiar with and needs more explanation on.

4. Is it okay to ask for clarification multiple times?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for clarification multiple times. It is important to fully understand the information being presented, and if something is still unclear, it is perfectly acceptable to ask for more clarification.

5. How does asking for clarification help in the scientific process?

Asking for clarification helps in the scientific process by ensuring that the information being presented is accurate and well-understood. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the subject matter and helps to eliminate any potential misunderstandings or errors in the research.