Predict whether the following reactions occur

• Thread starter Clari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reactions
In summary, the conversation is about predicting which reactions can occur at low temperature and what factors to consider. The reactions are CH2CH2 + (H+), CH3Br + RNH2, CH4 + HCl, and CH£Br + (CN-). The expert advises considering thermodynamic data, such as enthalpy, to determine if the reactions will occur spontaneously. They also mention the types of reactions and their likelihood of occurring.
Clari
Hi there! i feel confused at a question in my homework:

Predict whether the following reactions can occur at low temperature
a) CH2CH2 + (H+)
b) CH3Br + RNH2
c) CH4 + HCl
d) CH£Br + (CN-)

I don't know what should be concerned, please help me. :uhh:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Clari said:
Hi there! i feel confused at a question in my homework:

Predict whether the following reactions can occur at low temperature
a) CH2CH2 + (H+)
b) CH3Br + RNH2
c) CH4 + HCl
d) CH£Br + (CN-)

I don't know what should be concerned, please help me. :uhh:

free energy, whether each of the reactions will occur spontaneously at room temperature (that is the product will be major), you'll need to consider some thermodynamic data such as enthalpy. a) is a hydrogenation, commonly catalysis reaction, b) is a nucleophilic substitution along with d), and the reaction c) probably won't occur, unless via radical reaction.

i see...Thanks GCT, your help is appreciated. ^-^

1. Can you predict whether a reaction will occur based on the reactants?

Yes, it is possible to predict whether a reaction will occur based on the reactants involved. This can be determined by looking at factors such as the chemical properties and bonding of the reactants.

2. What factors influence whether a reaction will occur?

The factors that influence whether a reaction will occur include the energy of the reactants, the presence of a catalyst, the concentration and pressure of the reactants, and the temperature at which the reaction takes place.

3. How accurate are predictions about reactions?

The accuracy of predictions about reactions can vary depending on the complexity of the reaction and the available information about the reactants. In some cases, predictions can be very accurate, while in others they may be less reliable.

4. Can you predict the rate of a reaction?

Yes, it is possible to predict the rate of a reaction based on factors such as the concentration of reactants, temperature, and the presence of a catalyst. These factors can be used to determine the rate law and predict the rate of the reaction.

5. Are there any limitations to predicting reactions?

Yes, there are limitations to predicting reactions. Some reactions may be too complex to accurately predict, and the accuracy of predictions can also be affected by external factors such as impurities in the reactants or experimental errors.