Good m4P (iTunes format) to mp3 converter?

In summary, the conversation involves a person asking for recommendations for a good m4P to mp3 converter. Several suggestions are given, including using a media player with AAC playback capability, Winamp's wav writer, and an application called JHymn. The legality of removing protected tags from purchased music is also discussed. One person suggests converting the files using iTunes, but another person points out that protected files cannot be converted. The conversation ends with a recommendation for dbPoweramp as a converter.
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
Does anyone know of a good m4P (iTunes format) to mp3 converter? I have tried a couple of shareware progs that say they can do it, but I have had no luck. Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Any media player with AAC playback capability can at the very least convert it to WAV from where you can then reencode into MP3. Winamp has a built-in wav writer in its output plugins. You might even be able to find a direct converter plugin.

I'll try that. Thanks for the help.

Just thought I'd share...

After Mezarashi's suggestion about WinAmp I did some looking around and came across a forum for Winamp. I found a post that put me onto this application JHymn. I have yet to try it, but it looks promising. I also agree with what the author says about DRM and all.

MODS: If this post is inappropriate, please let me know and I will delete it.

Removing the protected tags from purchased music is illegal, but you could burn them on a CD and then import them as MP3 which is not illegal but the quality of the sound will drop.

Fred, you can convert to mp3 using iTunes. Just go under help and search for "convert to mp3." The first article that comes up explains how to do it.

Really? Damn. I feel even more stupid now. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: I may be missing something here, but I tried converting a tune bought thru iTunes and I get a message that says protected files can not be converted. Harumph.

Last edited:
This might be a stupid question, but why don't you just download mp3 copies of the songs you want to convert? In fact, in the future, why not just buy from mp3.com or another site that sells mp3s? Are their prices different?

dbPoweramp is v good for converting between formats, cept u need to dl the encoding codecs as well.

1. Can I convert my iTunes songs to mp3 format with a good m4P converter?

Yes, a good m4P to mp3 converter will allow you to convert your iTunes songs from the m4P format to mp3 format, which is a more widely supported audio format.

2. Is it legal to convert m4P files to mp3?

It is legal to convert m4P files to mp3 format for personal use, but it is important to make sure you have the rights to the songs you are converting. Some songs may be protected by DRM (digital rights management) and cannot be converted legally.

3. Are there any free m4P to mp3 converters available?

Yes, there are several free m4P to mp3 converters available, but it is important to research and make sure they are reputable and safe to use. Some may also have limitations or advertisements.

4. Will converting my m4P files to mp3 affect the quality of the audio?

In general, converting from one lossy audio format to another (such as m4P to mp3) may result in a slight decrease in audio quality. However, a good m4P to mp3 converter should be able to preserve the majority of the original quality.

5. Can I convert my entire iTunes library to mp3 at once?

It depends on the specific m4P to mp3 converter you are using. Some may have batch conversion capabilities, allowing you to convert multiple files at once. Others may only allow one file to be converted at a time.