What is the Acceleration of a Tennis Ball After Being Served?

In summary, the conversation discusses the acceleration and force acting on a tennis ball when it is served. The speaker tries to use different equations to find the acceleration, but is unable to do so. They then mention that the work done on the ball can be calculated using the equations v=at and s=(1/2)at^2, where the values for velocity and distance are given.
LCB
When a 58 g tennis ball is served, it accelerates from rest to a constant speed of 49 m/s. The impact with the racket gives the ball a constant acceleration over a distance of 45 cm. What is the magnitude of the net force acting on the ball?

I tried using Fnet=ma, but acceleration isn't given. So I tried to find acceleration by dividing the velocity by time, but time isn't given. Then I tried to use a kinematic formula without time in it to solve for acceleration. When I got my "answer", it wasn't right. What in the world am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
How much work has the force done on the ball?

For any acceleration, starting from rest, v= at and s= (1/2)at2.

Here you are told that v= 49 m/s and s= 45 m/s2. You can solve those two equations for a and t. (Of course, you only need a.)

What is the definition of magnitude of net force?

The magnitude of net force is the overall strength or intensity of the forces acting on an object in a particular direction. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has a magnitude or size, and does not have a specific direction.

How is magnitude of net force calculated?

The magnitude of net force is calculated by adding the magnitudes of all the individual forces acting on an object. If the forces are acting in the same direction, their magnitudes are added. If they are acting in opposite directions, the magnitude of the smaller force is subtracted from the magnitude of the larger force.

What is the unit of measurement for magnitude of net force?

The unit of measurement for magnitude of net force is Newtons (N), which is derived from the basic units of mass (kilograms) and acceleration (meters per second squared).

How does magnitude of net force affect an object's motion?

The magnitude of net force determines the acceleration of an object, according to Newton's second law of motion (F=ma). If the magnitude of net force is zero, the object will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity. If the magnitude of net force is non-zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

Can the magnitude of net force ever be negative?

Technically, the magnitude of net force cannot be negative since it is a scalar quantity. However, if the forces acting on an object are in opposite directions, one force may have a negative magnitude while the other has a positive magnitude. In this case, the net force would have a magnitude that is the difference between the two forces.