Uniform linear charges and plane charges and mastering physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in mastering physics related to uniform linear charges and plane charges. The problem involves finding the location where an alpha particle would feel no force due to a charged wire and a charged plane. The solution involves finding the electric field and combining the electric field of the wire and plane. The person seeking help has attempted the problem multiple times but has not been successful and is asking for assistance.
RhysticGenesis
uniform linear charges and plane charges and mastering physics??

I am completely stumped on this mastering physics problem, problem 22.34 (same as out of the university physics volume 3 11th edition book) and I cannot find any examples to compare to in my physics book and I have tried multiple times to come up with some solution but none make sense, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction or show me how to go about solving it.

the problem is:

A long line carrying a uniform linear charge density 50 mu[micro] C/m [So 50*10^-6 ; sorry don't know how to make mu character so just clarifying] runs parallel to and 10.0 cm from the surface of a large, flat plastic sheet that has a uniform surface charge density of -100 mu [micro] C/m^2 on one side.

Find the location of all points where an alpha particle would feel no force due to this arrangement of charged objects.

as I said before I am completely stumped and I have failed attempts about 5 -6 times and I would appreciate any help given. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
An alpha partice would feel no force at those places where the electric field is zero, right?
So find the electric field. If you know the electric field of a plane sheet and that of a point charge you can just add them up. (Convince yourself that the electric field of the wire/plane doesn't affect the charge distribution on the plane/wire).

It would also help if you showed what you have done so far.

I understand your frustration with this problem. Uniform linear charges and plane charges are common concepts in electrostatics, and they are often used in real-world applications. Mastering physics is a great way to practice and apply these concepts, but it can also be challenging at times.

In this specific problem, we are dealing with two charged objects - a long line with a uniform linear charge density and a large flat sheet with a uniform surface charge density. The goal is to find the locations where an alpha particle would feel no force due to the arrangement of these charged objects.

To solve this problem, we can use the principles of superposition and Coulomb's law. The first step would be to calculate the electric field at any point in space due to each of the charged objects separately. Then, we can add these electric fields vectorially to find the total electric field at that point.

Once we have the total electric field, we can use the fact that an alpha particle would feel no force if it is placed at a point where the electric field is zero. Therefore, we need to find the points where the total electric field is zero.

I suggest breaking down the problem into smaller parts and solving them individually. For example, first find the electric field at a point due to the charged line, then find the electric field at the same point due to the charged sheet, and finally add these two fields to find the total electric field at that point.

I also recommend reviewing the relevant concepts and equations in your textbook or online resources. This will help you better understand the problem and how to approach it.

Remember, problem-solving in physics requires patience, perseverance, and practice. Don't get discouraged if you don't get the answer right away, keep trying and seeking help if needed. I hope this response helps you in solving this problem. Good luck!

1. What is the difference between uniform linear charges and plane charges?

Uniform linear charges refer to a distribution of charges that are evenly spaced along a line. Plane charges, on the other hand, refer to a distribution of charges that are evenly spread out over a flat surface. The main difference between the two is their dimensional orientation.

2. How do I calculate the electric field for a uniform linear charge or plane charge?

To calculate the electric field for a uniform linear charge, you can use the formula E = kλ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, λ is the linear charge density, and r is the distance from the charge. For a plane charge, the formula is E = kσ/2ε0, where σ is the surface charge density and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

3. How does mastering physics help with understanding uniform linear charges and plane charges?

Mastering physics is an online platform that provides interactive practice problems and simulations to help students understand and apply concepts in physics. It offers a variety of resources, including step-by-step solutions and feedback, to assist in mastering topics such as uniform linear charges and plane charges.

4. What is the significance of Gauss's law in relation to uniform linear charges and plane charges?

Gauss's law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface. It can be used to calculate the electric field for a variety of charge distributions, including uniform linear charges and plane charges.

5. How can I use the principles of uniform linear charges and plane charges in real-world applications?

The principles of uniform linear charges and plane charges are used in various real-world applications, such as designing electronic circuits, analyzing the behavior of charged particles in accelerators, and understanding the electrostatic forces between objects. They are also essential in the study of atmospheric and oceanic electricity, as well as in the development of new technologies such as electrostatic precipitators for air pollution control.