Religion or Team Spirit: Which Matters More?

• Thread starter pattylou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Religion
In summary, the author has a hypothesis about why people like team sports and does not like individual sports or activities. The author also has a preference for working as a team when doing research or doing surgery on a sheep.

Are you religious? Do you like team sports and activities?

• I am religious, I prefer team sports and activities to individual sports and activities

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I am religious, I prefer individual sports and activities to team sports and activities

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I am NOT religious, I prefer team sports and activities to individual sports and activities

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • I am NOT religious, I prefer individual sports and activities to team sports and activities

Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters
TheStatutoryApe said:
I'm a loner for the most part. When I play a game of some sort I invariably prefer to work on my own so I play games like billiards and chess.
And I'm not religious ofcourse.
How do you play chess or billiards alone? I prefer playing billiards as a team because I SUCK at it, and if I have a good partner, I might not lose EVERY game. I'm still undecided here. It's fun to play in a group or as teams, but it's also fun to challenge yourself by playing individually or alone. I really do like both...too much of either gets to me. If I have to spend too much time on a team, the other people will start grating on my nerves, but if I spend too much time alone, I start to feel lonely and crave being around other people. My usual pattern is that I spend my days with other people doing the stuff that is done as teams or committees or groups or whatever, and spend my nights alone, either getting work done without distractions or relaxing by doing quiet activities.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheStatutoryApe said:
There are people who play sports that enjoy having teams not just because they will help you win but because they like the idea of being part of a team.
Some people here said they like teams because they want to have a role within a group. I can't relate to that. I'm afraid that in a group I tend to take charge. :redface: I do prefer to go it alone if I have a choice. Takes less time and no one to blame but myself.

Oh the bowling analogy. I would prefer to bowl alone, in the dark, with glowing balls and pins.

Evo said:
Oh the bowling analogy. I would prefer to bowl alone, in the dark, with glowing balls and pins.
Okay, I'm not so far to that extreme, so I guess maybe that means I'm more the team sort (I want a bowling partner with the glowing balls and pins :blushing: :redface:). I guess I'll go with option 3.

Moonie said:
How do you play chess or billiards alone?
Lol... well you can shoot pool alone for practice or work on chess problems, which I do sometimes, but that's not what I meant really. I mean that I prefer to rely on my own skill and ability in a competitive game rather than be part of a team. I used to go to a greaser bar and sit on the pool table all night taking challenger after challenger. I was pretty good back then. I never really got to know most of the people I played, I would just beat them and then play the next person in line.
When I'm playing just for something to do while being social and not so much for the game I sometimes play teams.

LOL...

I'm going to start another poll...

I'm enjoying the harassment here more than I thought I would.

pattylou said:
LOL...

I'm going to start another poll...

I'm enjoying the harassment here more than I thought I would.
Masochist! :biggrin:

So... should I bother asking which option I should choose? :confused: I prefer watching team sports, but I much prefer working on my own. I'm not religious.

mattmns said:
Yeah I think most people do immunocytochemistry by themselves :confused: :smile:
And never with a sheep. It's immoral and may be illegal where you live. :tongue2:

Evo said:
Oooooohhhhh...