What Are Some Recommended Nuclear Physics Textbooks for Online Access?

In summary, Hyperphysics recommends Cottingham and Greenwood's "An Introduction to Nuclear Physics" as a reference for a particle physics class. Hyperphysics also recommends John Wood's "Nuclear Physics" which is currently being written.
Nomy-the wanderer
Any recommendations?, I'm also hoping for a book that i can find online...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hyperphysics site is definitely great, it contains whatever u need...But I'm not sure if it satisfies me...

The topics:
constitution of the nucleus(following the path of earlier models, till the figure we've got now),natural radio activity, artificial nuclear disintgration, artificial radioactivity, nuclear reactions...

I used Cottingham and Greenwood's "An Introduction to Nuclear Physics" as a reference in a particle physics class...not bad to start and a decent amount of mathematical rigor.

I used "Nuclear physics", S.M. Wong, in my undergraduate course, but didn't like it at all. There is also a book from Krane (I guess it's the same title?), but I haven't read it.

The book I used in for my undergrad nuclear physics course was Krane's Introductory Nuclear Physics (1988 edition). Big brownish/maroonish book. I thought it was a reasonably decent book for the undergrad level, and very readable. I still refer to it every now and then.

Thx a billion...

I know someone who might have these books...

Last edited:
I like Preston's books "Physics of the Nucleus" and his Nuclear Structure one. They not as shallow as Wong's while still pretty introductory.
Of course, I still think Blatt and Weiskopf is still really good but it doesn't really cover shell model or structure in any detail.

John Wood at Georgia Tech is currently working on a book of his own. If EVERYBODY doesn't e-mail him at once you might be able to acquire a preprint, but I'm not certain.

I found Wong and Green, but I'm not comfortable with them, I've difficulties gettin krane..

Our prof has recommended Kaplan's for radioactivity only, and then he said it's not that good in many other parts anyway...And afterwrds he also recommended Goschol's...

There are still a few stores left, mayeb i'll find something there...

It's easier to order a book but here they charge me a lot for any shipment coming from abroad...

1. What is nuclear physics?

Nuclear physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the atomic nucleus and its interactions with other particles. It explores the structure, properties, and behavior of atomic nuclei, as well as the processes of nuclear reactions and decay.

2. Why is nuclear physics important?

Nuclear physics has numerous applications in fields such as energy production, medical imaging and treatments, and materials science. It also helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature and the origins of the universe.

3. What topics are typically covered in a nuclear physics textbook?

A nuclear physics textbook typically covers topics such as nuclear structure, nuclear reactions, radioactivity, nuclear energy, nuclear fission and fusion, and particle accelerators. It may also include discussions on related topics such as nuclear medicine and nuclear weapons.

4. How is nuclear physics used in everyday life?

Nuclear physics has numerous practical applications, such as generating electricity in nuclear power plants, diagnosing and treating medical conditions through nuclear imaging and radiation therapy, and improving the properties of materials used in various industries.

5. Is nuclear physics a difficult subject to study?

Nuclear physics can be challenging to study due to its complex mathematical concepts and the need for a solid foundation in other areas of physics. However, with dedication and proper study techniques, it can be understood and mastered by anyone with a strong interest in the subject.