Partial Fractions: Reducing x^5, Example Help Needed

PMIn summary, to solve the expression \frac{x^5}{x^3 - x}, you can divide both the numerator and the denominator by 'x' to have a simpler expression of \frac{x^4}{x^2 - 1}. Then, you can use polynomial long division or another method to further reduce the degree of the numerator. This will result in the final expression of x^2 + \frac{x^2}{x^2 - 1}.
zanazzi78
I`ve been asked to complete the following expresion
[tex]\frac{x^5}{x^3 - x}[/tex]

I know i`m supossed to reduce the numerator, but i`m a little stuck getting started.

The problem i have is how do you reduce [tex]x^5[/tex]?

is it simply [tex]x^3(x^2)[/tex]? but then how do you get rid of the [tex]x^3[/tex]

AAHH i`m lost.

I obviously don`t want you to give me the answer so an example of your choice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can first divide both denominator and numerator by 'x'. They have 'x' in common. So:
[tex]\frac{x ^ 5}{x ^ 3 - x} = \frac{x ^ 4}{x ^ 2 - 1}[/tex]
You can use 'polynomial long division' to reduce the degree of the numerator. You can click here for more information.
-------------------
Or you can also do it a little bit differently:
You notice that x4 = (x2)(x2). But the denominator is x2 - 1, so:
x4 = x2(x2 - 1) + x2.
Now:
[tex]\frac{x ^ 4}{x ^ 2 - 1} = \frac{x ^ 2(x ^ 2 - 1) + x ^ 2}{x ^ 2 - 1} = x ^ 2 + \frac{x ^ 2}{x ^ 2 - 1}[/tex]
Now just do the same for [tex]\frac{x ^ 2}{x ^ 2 - 1}[/tex]:
[tex]\frac{x ^ 2}{x ^ 2 - 1} = \frac{x ^ 2 + ... - ...}{x ^ 2 - 1} = ...[/tex]
Viet Dao,

Hi there,

I'm glad you're seeking help with this problem. Partial fractions can be tricky to understand at first, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes much easier.

First, let's review what partial fractions are. They are a method of breaking down a complex fraction into smaller, simpler fractions. This is done by finding the unique factors in the denominator and expressing the original fraction as a sum of fractions with those factors in the denominator.

In this case, we have a numerator of x^5 and a denominator of x^3 - x. The first step is to factor the denominator. In this case, x^3 - x can be written as x(x^2 - 1). Now, we can express our original fraction as:

x^5 / x(x^2 - 1)

Next, we can break this down further by factoring x^2 - 1. This gives us (x - 1)(x + 1). So now, our fraction can be written as:

x^5 / x(x - 1)(x + 1)

To reduce the numerator, we can use the exponent rule for division, which states that when dividing two terms with the same base, we can subtract the exponents. In this case, we can rewrite x^5 as x^3 * x^2. So now our fraction is:

x^3 * x^2 / x(x - 1)(x + 1)

We can now cancel out one of the x's in the numerator and denominator, leaving us with:

x^2 / (x - 1)(x + 1)

This is the final expression in reduced form.

I hope this example helps clarify the process for you. It's important to remember to always factor the denominator first and then work on reducing the numerator. If you have any further questions or need more clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. Happy problem-solving!

What is the concept of partial fractions?

Partial fractions is a method of breaking down a fraction into smaller, simpler fractions. It involves decomposing a rational function into a sum of simpler fractions with each denominator being linear or irreducible quadratic.

Why is partial fractions useful?

Partial fractions can be useful in solving integrals and differential equations, simplifying complex algebraic expressions, and finding inverse Laplace transforms. It can also help in evaluating limits and finding solutions to partial fraction decomposition problems.

How do you reduce x^5 using partial fractions?

To reduce x^5 using partial fractions, you need to first factor the denominator into linear or irreducible quadratic factors. Then, you set up a system of equations using the coefficients of the resulting fractions and solve for the unknown variables. Finally, you substitute the values back into the fractions and combine like terms to get the reduced form.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when using partial fractions?

One common mistake is not factoring the denominator completely, which can lead to incorrect solutions. Another mistake is not setting up the system of equations correctly, resulting in incorrect values for the unknown variables. It is also important to check for any extraneous roots and make sure all terms are combined correctly.

Can you provide an example of reducing x^5 using partial fractions?

Yes, for example, let's consider the fraction (x^5 + 2x^4 + 3x^3 + 4x^2 + 5x + 6) / (x^2 + 2x + 3). First, we factor the denominator as (x + 1)(x + 2). Then, we set up the system of equations as A(x + 1) + B(x + 2) = x^5 + 2x^4 + 3x^3 + 4x^2 + 5x + 6. Solving for A and B, we get A = 1 and B = 2. Substituting these values back into the fractions, we get the reduced form as x^3 - x^2 + x - 1 + (5x + 7) / (x + 2).