Solve Water Slide Problem: Initial Speed 0.54m/s, Height 3.2m

In summary, the question is asking for the distance from the end of the water slide to the point where the swimmer splashes down in the pool. To solve this, we can use conservation of energy to find the final velocity of the person, and then use kinematics to calculate the distance traveled. We can also use the formula h=(g*t^2)/2 to find the time it takes for the person to fall 1.5m, and then use the formula x=vt to find the horizontal distance traveled.
jbgibson
"If the height of the water slide is h = 3.2m and the person's initial speed at point A (at the top of slide) is 0.54m/s, at what location does the swimmer splash down in the pool?"

I need help with this guys. It may be relatively easy, but I'm not seeing it. I don't know what formula to apply here. I have an initial velocity and a height of the slide. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that all the info given in the question? You can use conservation of energy to find the final velocity of the person, but from there I'm not sure what it is asking for.

It's asking for the distance from the end of the slide to the point where the swimmer splashes in the water.

How do I add an image?

In additional options, manage attachments. Well you know the Normal force will be 0 when the person is in the air about to splash.

This is a picture of the problem I'm having difficulty with. Thanks!

Attachments

• slide.gif
    slide.gif
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,116
Ok now with the picture is clearer, just find the speed at 1.5 m throught conservation of energy and then work it out with kinematics (uniform acceleration neglecting air drag)

The "projectile" is launched from 1.5m above the pool,
with a horizontal velocity.

After getting the horizontal speed, you have to find the time that it takes to fall 1.5m (h=(g*t^2)/2) then you find the horizontal distance that the kid went by x=vt.

Cyclovenom said:
Ok now with the picture is clearer, just find the speed at 1.5 m throught conservation of energy and then work it out with kinematics (uniform acceleration neglecting air drag)

Would I use the formula v=square root of 2gh to figure out v2?

1. What is the equation for calculating the speed of an object on a water slide?

The equation for calculating the speed of an object on a water slide is Vf = √(Vi^2 + 2gh), where Vf is the final speed, Vi is the initial speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height of the water slide.

2. How do you determine the final speed of an object on a water slide?

To determine the final speed, plug in the given values of Vi, g, and h into the equation Vf = √(Vi^2 + 2gh) and solve for Vf. In this case, the final speed would be approximately 3.95 m/s.

3. Is the final speed of an object on a water slide affected by its initial speed?

Yes, the final speed of an object on a water slide is affected by its initial speed. The higher the initial speed, the higher the final speed, as seen in the equation Vf = √(Vi^2 + 2gh).

4. What is the significance of the height of the water slide in this problem?

The height of the water slide is significant because it determines the potential energy of the object at the top of the slide, which is then converted into kinetic energy as it slides down. In this problem, a greater height of 3.2m results in a greater final speed of the object.

5. Are there any other factors that could affect the final speed of an object on a water slide?

Yes, there are other factors that could affect the final speed of an object on a water slide, such as air resistance, friction, and the shape and angle of the slide. These factors may not be significant in this specific problem, but they should be considered in a more realistic scenario.