Perfect Square (Quadratic function)

In summary, the condition for a quadratic function of the form ax2 + bx + c = y to be a perfect square is when the discriminant of the quadratic is 0. Additionally, when a is a perfect square and x is within the range of \alpha and \beta.
Ak94

Homework Statement

What is the condition, for a quadratic function of the form
ax2 + bx + c = y
to be a perfect square? (x, y are real here)

There's a question of this type in a book I'm working with, and I'd just like to have some general conditions for any quadratic...

The Attempt at a Solution

Since y = ax2 + bx + c = a(x-[tex]\alpha[/tex])(x-[tex]\beta[/tex])
where [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] are the values of x for which y = 0,
y is a perfect square when Discriminant of quadratic = 0 (this ensures that [tex]\alpha[/tex] = [tex]\beta[/tex]) and when a is a perect square..

Are these the required conditions for any quadratic function (of the given form) to be a perfect square? Any condition I may have missed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ak94 said:

Homework Statement

What is the condition, for a quadratic function of the form
ax2 + bx + c = y
to be a perfect square? (x, y are real here)

There's a question of this type in a book I'm working with, and I'd just like to have some general conditions for any quadratic...

The Attempt at a Solution

Since y = ax2 + bx + c = a(x-[tex]\alpha[/tex])(x-[tex]\beta[/tex])
where [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] are the values of x for which y = 0,
y is a perfect square when Discriminant of quadratic = 0 (this ensures that [tex]\alpha[/tex] = [tex]\beta[/tex]) and when a is a perect square..

Are these the required conditions for any quadratic function (of the given form) to be a perfect square? Any condition I may have missed?

How about if y = 2x2 + 4x + 2 = 2(x + 1)(x + 1)? Is that a perfect square?

hm..
2x2+4x+2=[[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex](x+1)]2
and since [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] isn't an integer, the expression isn't a perfect square...
so that does imply that when D = 0, and coefficient of x2 is a perfect square, we can conclude that the entire quadratic will be one.. ?

Ak94 said:
hm..
2x2+4x+2=[[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex](x+1)]2
and since [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] isn't an integer, the expression isn't a perfect square...
so that does imply that when D = 0, and coefficient of x2 is a perfect square, we can conclude that the entire quadratic will be one.. ?
So I guess it depends on what your definition of "perfect square" is! And I've never seen one that required constants to be integers. Is that from your textbook?

Are you required to use integers as coefficients? I know some introductory algebra books specify that you factor only if you have integer coefficients, but you have not specified this. If so, your comment that

[tex]
2x^2 + 4x + 2 = \left( \sqrt 2 (x+1) \right)^2
[/tex]

is not a perfect square is correct. If non-integer coefficients are allowed, it is a perfect
square.

it's kind of ambigously mentioned in the book, so I'll talk to my teacher about it.., thanks for pointing that out :)

So a perfect square number would have to be the square of an integer, but that is not needed for an expression.. ?

Also.. I guess D = 0 is still a necessary condition
Since this perfect square would be greater than or equal to 0, the parabola representing the function would have to open upwards, so it would be greater than 0

So, the necessary (and sufficient) conditions are D = 0, a > 0? (assuming that any real coefficient is allowed)
Is that right?

Not necessarily. I would call "[itex]a(x- b)^2[/itex]" a "perfect square" for any numbers a and b- a does not have to be positive.

I see.. so D = 0 is the only condition..
to everyone who helped out, thanks :)

1. What is a perfect square quadratic function?

A perfect square quadratic function is a type of quadratic function where the highest degree term (x^2) is a perfect square. It can be written in the form y = a(x-h)^2 + k, where (h,k) is the vertex of the parabola.

2. How do you determine if a quadratic function is a perfect square?

To determine if a quadratic function is a perfect square, you can factor the equation and see if the highest degree term (x^2) is a perfect square. Another way is to compare the equation to the general form of a perfect square quadratic function, y = a(x-h)^2 + k.

3. What are the properties of a perfect square quadratic function?

A perfect square quadratic function has several properties, including: a symmetrical parabola, a single x-intercept, a vertex at the minimum or maximum point of the parabola, and a discriminant of 0.

4. How do you graph a perfect square quadratic function?

To graph a perfect square quadratic function, you can use the vertex form, y = a(x-h)^2 + k, to determine the vertex and plot it on the coordinate plane. Then, use the symmetry of the parabola to plot points on either side of the vertex and connect them to create the parabola.

5. What are some real-life applications of perfect square quadratic functions?

Perfect square quadratic functions can be used to model various real-life situations, such as projectile motion, the shape of a satellite dish, or the shape of a fountain. They can also be used in engineering and physics to optimize designs and predict outcomes.