Calculating the Length of a Function

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation for finding the length of a function, which can be written as L(x) = integral of the square root of the derivative of the function squared plus one. The equation can also be simplified to finding the arc length using a parameter equation or when the function is given in the form of y = f(x). The conditions for using this formula are that the derivative must exist, be continuous, and the arc must be continuous.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
My friend told me that they had just learned an equation to find the length of a function. I decided that it would be cool to try to find it myself. I got: [tex]
L(x) = \int \sqrt(f'(x)^2 +1)dx [/tex]

I got that by saying that the length of a line with a slope of a over a distance of h is: [tex] \sqrt(f'(x)^2 +1) [/tex]
Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, when a function f is determined by a vectorfunction (so you have a parameter equation of the curve), the arc length is given by:

[tex]\ell = \int_a^b {\left\| {\frac{{d\vec f}}
{{dt}}} \right\|dt}[/tex]

There are of course conditions such as df/dt has to exist, be continous, the arc has to be continous.
Now when a function is given in the form "y = f(x)" you can choose x as parameter and the formula simplifies to:

[tex]\ell = \int_a^b {\sqrt {1 + y'^2 } dx} [/tex]

Which is probably what you meant :smile:

Thanks!:biggrin: :biggrin:

You're talking about arc length, right?

Yes, at least that's what I assumed.

1. How do you calculate the length of a function?

The length of a function can be calculated using the arc length formula, which involves integrating the square root of 1 plus the derivative of the function squared.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the length of a function?

Calculating the length of a function is useful in many areas of mathematics, including geometry, calculus, and physics. It allows for a more precise understanding of the behavior and properties of a function.

3. Can the length of a function be negative?

No, the length of a function cannot be negative. It is a measure of distance and therefore must be a positive value.

4. Is there a shortcut to calculating the length of a function?

Yes, in some cases, the length of a function can be calculated using simpler methods such as the Pythagorean theorem or basic geometry formulas. However, these methods may only work for certain types of functions.

5. How can I check if my calculated length of a function is correct?

You can check your calculated length of a function by comparing it to known values or using alternate methods of calculation. It is also important to double-check your work and make sure all calculations are accurate.