Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about sharing favorite quotes. Some of the mentioned quotes were from famous people like Maynard James Keenan, Robin Williams, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Lao Tzu. Other quotes were from movies like The Godfather and The Fugitive. Some were humorous, some were thought-provoking, and some were just silly. The conversation also touched on the topic of mistakes and the English language. Overall, the conversation was a mix of humor and insightful thoughts.
"I'm getting downsized."
- DaveC426913 Jan 27 2009

Oh wait. That's not a favourite quote, that's just my day so far.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
On The View today:
~
Joy Behar: I understand that you do a great Nixon impression
Blagojevich: [acknowledges with hesitation]... What do you want me to do?
Joy Behar: Say "I'm not a crook"
Priceless!

Did that really happen?

Edit: Looks like it did - skip to about 7 minutes in.

mbs8uw22DKM[/youtube]

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
On The View today:
~
Joy Behar: I understand that you do a great Nixon impression
Blagojevich: [acknowledges with hesitation]... What do you want me to do?
Joy Behar: Say "I'm not a crook"

:rofl: O...M...G... :rofl:

Upon hearing that Blagojevich had said he had considered her for Obama's senate seat on Good Morning America:
Oprah Winfrey said:
If I had been watching from the treadmill, where I’m usually watching, I would have fallen off...

OmCheeto said:
Upon hearing that Blagojevich had said he had considered her for Obama's senate seat on Good Morning America:

I didn't realize that Obama had a senate seat on Good Morning America.

A college professor is someone who talks in other peoples sleep...Bergen Evans
Eating food with a knife and fork is like making love through an interpreter...Anon
Obesity is a fat accompli...........Len Elliott

Author John Updike, dies today at 76.

"I am very prone to accept all that the scientists tell us, the truth of it, the authority of the efforts of all the men and woman spent trying to understand more about atoms and molecules. But I can't quite make the leap of unfaith, as it were, and say, 'This is it. Carpe diem (seize the day), and tough luck.' "

Question: Have you ever thought of running for President?
Dolly Parton: We've had enough boobs in the White House.

One of the cheapest forms of entertainment is watching other people.

Someone in the local region talking about local economics.

~ If Rush [Limbaugh] wants Obama to fail, then he wants America to fail. So Rush and Bin Laden are on the same page. - Bill Maher

Last edited:
~ It doesn't matter if it [the stimulus package] works. Economists, once we come out of this, will argue forever what did it; or this did it, or this did it... The Republicans opposed FDR to a man, and five decades later they finally came back in Congress.
- Sam Donaldson

Obama vs Bush? The difference is like black and white.

Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future.
Niels Bohr

Has to be Chris Matthews

Last edited by a moderator:
"I love this country..."

(President Obama on Canada.)

From Time's Quote of the Week
http://www.time.com/time/quotes/0,26174,1882280,00.html

"These earmarks do not benefit me in any way, shape, manner."

Senator JUDD GREGG, after an AP investigation found he had steered taxpayer money to his home state's redevelopment of a former Air Force base even as he and his brother engaged in real estate deals there

Astronuc said:
From Time's Quote of the Week
http://www.time.com/time/quotes/0,26174,1882280,00.html

"These earmarks do not benefit me in any way, shape, manner."

Senator JUDD GREGG, after an AP investigation found he had steered taxpayer money to his home state's redevelopment of a former Air Force base even as he and his brother engaged in real estate deals there
Yes. There are some pretty pricey properties on that old Pease base, and I'm sure he didn't get a dime for himself.

... Republicans now are as close to irrelevant in Washington as we've been. We're kind of like eunuchs invited to a wild party at the Playboy mansion, you know. We get to watch, we have very detailed opinions about everything, but we're not participating...

Mike Murphy - Republican Strategist
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29453052/page/3/

Oh Lord, give me sobriety, but not yet - the drunk's prayer.

Optimistic people are more like to recover their 401K investments than are pessimistic people.

Why? Studies show that optimistic people live longer. - CBS News report

Ivan Seeking said:
Optimistic people are more like to recover their 401K investments than are pessimistic people.

Why? Studies show that optimistic people live longer. - CBS News report

Woo-Hoo!

"I have mountains and valleys and rivers and oceans of questions about that, but now is not the time."

lisab said:
Woo-Hoo!

Optimism doesn't cost a dime
- Michael Bloomberg

Ivan Seeking said:
Optimism doesn't cost a dime
- Michael Bloomberg

Unless you actually have a job...and voted for Obama...(opps, wait - you said "a dime" - my mistake).

Achieving life is not the equivalent of avoiding death.
The man who let's a leader prescribe his course is a wreck being towed to the scrap heap.
Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.

-- Ayn Rand

In fact, many of my favorite quotes can be found within the pages of The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.

I don't know if the New Deal was responsible for ending the depression or not, but what I do remember is that after Roosevelt took action, people had enough food to eat
- my father-in-law

Let your father-in-law know that there were food surpluses during the Great Depression. In fact, there were food surpluses since World War I. Because of the war, farmers produced goods like you wouldn't believe. When the war ended, they continued to produce at the same level. As you could imagine, this drove many farmers out of business as prices went through the floor. During the Great Depression, awesome levels of production still existed, but high inflation meant that people couldn't afford it. It wasn't until the markets stabilized (which took longer because of interference from FDR's administration, the Congress, and the Fed) that people could afford to buy the food.

So, let him know that there was always food, the fact that people began to visit supermarkets during FDR's presidency was just a coincidence.

Brilliant! said:
So, let him know that there was always food, the fact that people began to visit supermarkets during FDR's presidency was just a coincidence.

Coincidence? Or did FDR's father tell him about the French Revolution, and the consequences of people not having their brioche?

Hey! Wait a minute... This is quotesville. Why are we arguing politics?

Jesus said:
for the poor always ye have with you, and whenever ye may will ye are able to do them good, but me ye have not always

which I always mangle into

Me said:
Do not ask how anyone can be so, for the stupid will always be with us.

Brilliant! said:
Let your father-in-law know that there were food surpluses during the Great Depression. In fact, there were food surpluses since World War I. Because of the war, farmers produced goods like you wouldn't believe. When the war ended, they continued to produce at the same level. As you could imagine, this drove many farmers out of business as prices went through the floor. During the Great Depression, awesome levels of production still existed, but high inflation meant that people couldn't afford it. It wasn't until the markets stabilized (which took longer because of interference from FDR's administration, the Congress, and the Fed) that people could afford to buy the food.
Please provide evidence and citations to support one's conjectures.

Many farmers were driven out of business by drought and poor farming practices. See references on the "Dust Bowl".

Astronuc said:
Please provide evidence and citations to support one's conjectures.

Many farmers were driven out of business by drought and poor farming practices. See references on the "Dust Bowl".

What's more, this is not a thread for debate.

I was only commenting on your quote like so many in this thread have done of others. My apologies for forgetting the standard emoticon :smile:

From Martin Heidegger,

"The possible ranks higher than the actual"

And from Friedrich Nietzsche, and Master/Slave Morality

"All rare things for the rare"

More favorites:

"If we look at the way the universe behaves, quantum mechanics gives us fundamental, unavoidable indeterminacy, so that alternative histories of the universe can be assigned probability".

Murray Gell-Mann

"A property in the 100-year floodplain has a 96 percent chance of being flooded in the next hundred years without global warming. The fact that several years go by without a flood does not change that probability".

Earl Blumenauer

Couldn't resist this one:

"The consequences of an act affect the probability of it's occurring again".

B. F. Skinner (of the box)

When people in other countries get mad, they have riots and protests. Here in the US, we send emails typed in capital letters. - John Stewart

A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.
Lao Tzu

Something I wish our politicians would follow more...