Sum & Angle of Three Vectors (College Physics)

In summary, the given vectors of lengths A=65.7, B=38.4, and C=43.7 with angles theta a=29.1 degree and theta b=57.2 degree, and C pointing along the negative y-axis can be used to determine the length and angle of the vector A-B+C. To calculate the length, the formula R=square root of Rx^2+Ry^2 can be used, with Rx=(65.7cos29.1)-(38.4cos57.2)+(43.7cos270) and Ry=(65.7sin29.1)-(38.4sin57.2)+(43.7sin270). However
bebe087
1. You are given three vectors of lengths A=65.7, B=38.4, and C=43.7. The angles are theta a=29.1 degree and theta b=57.2 degree, and C points along the negative y-axis. (a) Determine the length of the vector A-B+C. (b) Calculate the angle of this vector

(a) Rx = Ax-Bx+Cx Ry = Ay-By+Cy
(b) R=square root of Rx^2+Ry^2

Rx=(65.7cos29.1)-(38.4cos57.2)+(43.7cos270)
Rx=57.407-20.802+0
Rx=36.605

Ry=(65.7sin29.1)-(38.4sin57.2)+(43.7sin270)
Ry=31.95-32.28-43.7
Ry= -44.03

R=square root of 36.605^2+(-44.03)^2
R=57.26

The HW site says my answers are wrong. Please help me and let me know what I did wrong. My homework is due Saturday.

Physics news on Phys.org
bebe087 said:
(a) Rx = Ax-Bx+Cx Ry = Ay-By+Cy

If you draw your vectors on a scratch of paper coming from the same point (just a quick sketch, nothing too precise), and draw their X and Y components, solving the problem should be much clearer and obvious. Components in the same direction should work together, combining.

Your formula appears to be prematurely subtracting a force that may not necessarily be an opposing force.

Welcome to PF, bebe087 and Furby :smile:

Furby said:
Your formula appears to be prematurely subtracting a force that may not necessarily be an opposing force.

Yes, why are Bx and By being subtracted here? By convention, the description that "theta b=57.2 degree" usually means from the +x direction going counter-clockwise. Is there reason to think otherwise?

We're subtracting because that's the homework question as it was written by the instructor. I added this course late and do not know how to add vectors. I've ordered the textbook, but it hasn't arrived yet.

bebe087 said:
We're subtracting because that's the homework question as it was written by the instructor.
Okay, I missed that when I first read the problem.

I added this course late and do not know how to add vectors. I've ordered the textbook, but it hasn't arrived yet.
Looks to me like you have correctly added the vectors, by adding/subtracting x and y components.

It may be that you gave an answer with too many significant figures (the original vector lengths were known to the nearest 0.1). Also, what did you get for the vector's angle?

I entered 57.3 for part a and the answer was still wrong. I got -50.3°. Perhaps my calculations are wrong...do the equations look correct to you?

This is how I calculated the angle:
tanθ=Ry/Rx
tan−1(inverse tan)(Ry/Rx)

1. What is the sum of three vectors?

The sum of three vectors is the resultant vector obtained when all three vectors are added together. It is calculated by adding the corresponding components of each vector together.

2. How do you calculate the angle between three vectors?

The angle between three vectors can be calculated using the dot product formula: θ = cos^-1((A•B)/(||A||*||B||)), where A and B are the two vectors and ||A|| and ||B|| are their magnitudes.

3. Can the sum of three vectors be zero?

Yes, the sum of three vectors can be zero if the three vectors are arranged in a way that their magnitudes and directions cancel each other out.

4. What is the difference between vector addition and scalar addition?

Vector addition involves adding two or more vectors together, taking into account their magnitudes and directions. Scalar addition, on the other hand, only involves adding the numerical values of scalars together.

5. How does the sum of three vectors affect the overall magnitude and direction?

The sum of three vectors affects the overall magnitude and direction by adding or subtracting their individual magnitudes and directions. The resulting magnitude and direction will depend on the relative magnitudes and directions of the three vectors.