Writing an equation in general form (circles)

In summary, the general form of a circle equation is (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) represents the coordinates of the center of the circle and r represents the radius. To convert from standard form to general form, use the formula (x-h)^2 = (x-a)^2 and (y-k)^2 = (y-b)^2. It is not possible to write a circle equation in general form without knowing the center and radius, but you can use the distance formula to find them. The general form can be used to graph a circle by plotting the center and points that are r units away in all four directions. The general form allows for more flexibility compared to the
kamo00800
(keep in mind, its circle math.. :/)
Write the equation (x+9)2+(y-5)2=12 in general form.

Physics news on Phys.org
If my memory is correct, general form is just Ax2 + By2 + Cx + Dy + E = 0. In this case, A and B are 1. Just expand what you have to write your equation in general form.

okay, but
Ax2 + By2 + Cx + Dy + E = 0
where do i get E...
cause 12 is on the other side of the =

kamo00800 said:
okay, but
Ax2 + By2 + Cx + Dy + E = 0
where do i get E...
cause 12 is on the other side of the =
Then subtract 12 from both sides of the equation.

1. What does the general form of a circle equation look like?

The general form of a circle equation is (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) represents the coordinates of the center of the circle and r represents the radius.

2. How do I convert a circle equation from standard form to general form?

To convert a circle equation from standard form (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2 to general form (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2, you can use the following formula: (x-h)^2 = (x-a)^2 and (y-k)^2 = (y-b)^2. Then, solve for h and k by equating the coefficients of x and y in the two equations.

3. Is it possible to write a circle equation in general form without knowing the center and radius?

No, the general form of a circle equation requires the knowledge of the center and radius. If you do not know these values, you can use the distance formula to find the center and radius first, and then write the equation in general form.

4. Can I graph a circle using the general form of its equation?

Yes, you can graph a circle using the general form of its equation. First, plot the coordinates of the center (h,k) on the coordinate plane. Then, using the value of r, plot points that are r units away from the center in all four directions (up, down, left, right). Finally, connect these points to form the circle.

5. How is the general form of a circle equation different from the standard form?

The general form of a circle equation allows for more flexibility in writing equations of circles, as it can be used to represent circles with centers at any point on the coordinate plane and with any radius. On the other hand, the standard form of a circle equation is more specific and only represents circles with centers at the origin (0,0).