Heat transfer (convection & radiation)

In summary: The polished plate radiates out more radiation then the black plate, so the equilibrium temperature is 303.23K for the polished plate and 310K for the black plate.
fenix8o0

Homework Statement

Two large thin aluminum plates, the first polished (emittance = 0.05 and the second painted black, are placed horizontally outdoors, where they are cooled by air at 283K. The heat transfer coefficient is 5 W/m^2-K on both the top and bottom. The top is irradiated with 750 W/m^2 and it radiates to the sky at 170K. The Earth below the plate is black at 283K. Find the equilibrium temperature of each plate.

Homework Equations

Q_conv = hA(Ts-Tenv)
Q_rad = e*sigma(Ts^4-Tsurr^)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I started by thinking about what equilibrium temperature is and I think its the change in heat transfer in the plate is zero.

Second, I drew a figure and I labeled the directions, we have the 750 W/m^2 going into the plate, radiation coming out, and convection going out from both the top and bottom faces.

I attempted it with the black plate and got an answer fairly close to the answer. The answer is 303.23K and I got about 310K. However, using the same method I got an answer much higher with the polished plate which leads me to believe my approach is wrong.

Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
No radiation going towards the ground? :smile:

Mapes said:
No radiation going towards the ground? :smile:
Thank you! Using the temperature of the Earth as the isothermal heat sink for that direction of radiation, I got the correct answer!

But, my problem with the polish plate still exists where I am getting a higher temperature than the black plate. The correct answer should be 285.06K. I added the emittance to the radiation going towards the sky and also tried going towards the earth. My answer is 326K and 359K respectively.

Think of what happens when you shine 750 W m-2 at a mirror. It is all going to be absorbed, or do you need to adjust that value to take reflectivity into account?

I figured it out, I forgot to included emittance for the amount of heat it radiates out. Thanks again.

I missed that detail too until you reported that the first answer was wrong!

1. What is convection?

Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of a fluid, such as air or water. It occurs when the warmer, less dense fluid rises and is replaced by cooler, denser fluid. This creates a continuous cycle of heat transfer.

2. How does radiation transfer heat?

Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves. These waves do not require a medium to travel through, so radiation can occur in a vacuum. The most familiar form of radiation is heat from the sun, but all objects emit radiation based on their temperature.

3. What is the difference between convection and radiation?

The main difference between convection and radiation is the way heat is transferred. Convection involves the movement of a fluid, while radiation involves the emission of electromagnetic waves. Convection can only occur in a fluid medium, while radiation can occur in a vacuum.

4. How does convection affect weather patterns?

Convection plays a crucial role in weather patterns. As the sun heats the Earth's surface, the air above it becomes warmer and rises, creating areas of low pressure. This can cause winds and storms as the cooler, denser air rushes in to replace the rising warm air.

5. What are some practical applications of heat transfer through convection and radiation?

Convection and radiation are used in many industries and everyday life. For example, convection is used in HVAC systems to regulate indoor temperature, and in cooking to evenly heat food. Radiation is utilized in solar panels to convert sunlight into energy, and in medical imaging technology such as X-rays and MRIs.