Elastic modulus or Young's modulus

In summary, Elastic modulus is a constant property of a material that is independent of the applied force and dimensions of the specimen. It is determined by the elastic strain borne by the atomic bonds, which are isotropic in metals. Other properties, such as beyond the elastic limit, may be affected by factors such as grain size and microstructure.
iliad
I have a question

Elastic modulus in Tensile test
E = L*F / A*△L

Elastic modulus in bending test
E = F*L^3 / 4*w*t^3*D

I think Elastic modulus is changed by size of specimen.

I don't know why Elastic modulus is inherent propertie of metal??

Engineering news on Phys.org
Elastic modulus is actually the elastic strain borne the atomic bonds. Since bonds in metals (metallic bonds) are isotropic (uniform) therefore elastic modulus remains the same regardless of the size of the object. Properties beyond the elastic limit however are transitive depending on different factors like grain size, microstructure constituents etc.

If you were to actually do a tension test for a particular material that obeys Hooke's Law, and then plug in the ΔL measured, experimentally, into your first formula -- you would find that "E" is constant. In other words, "E" is independent of your applied force, F, as well as the dimensions of your specimen: L and A. "E" can therefore be said to be a property of material only (not geometry!).

Similarly, if you were to do a three point bend test for that same material, and then plug in the deflection (D) measured, experimentally, into your second formula -- you would find that "E" is the same as before. "E" is again independent of the applied force, F, as well as the dimensions of your beam specimen: L, w, and t.
iliad said:
I think Elastic modulus is changed by size of specimen.

Nope.
iliad said:
I don't know why Elastic modulus is inherent property of metal??

What MalliCk said.Hope that helps..

1. What is Elastic Modulus or Young's Modulus?

Elastic modulus or Young's modulus is a measure of a material's stiffness or resistance to deformation when subjected to an applied force. It is a fundamental property of a material and is used to predict the behavior of a material under stress.

2. How is Elastic Modulus calculated?

Elastic modulus is calculated by taking the ratio of stress to strain in a material. It is expressed in units of force per unit area, such as N/m^2 or Pa.

3. What is the significance of Elastic Modulus in material science?

Elastic modulus is an important property in material science as it helps in understanding the behavior of a material under different types of loading. It is used to design and select materials for specific applications and to predict their performance and durability.

4. How does temperature affect Elastic Modulus?

Temperature can significantly affect the value of elastic modulus in a material. In general, as the temperature increases, the elastic modulus decreases due to the increased thermal motion of atoms and molecules in the material.

5. Can Elastic Modulus be changed?

Yes, elastic modulus can be changed by altering the material's composition, structure, or external factors such as temperature and stress. For example, adding reinforcing fibers to a material can increase its elastic modulus, making it stiffer and stronger.