Find the angle of a triangle and x coordinate

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a triangle with known side lengths but unknown angle theta. Various methods are suggested, such as decomposing the triangle into two right triangles and using trigonometry, but it is determined that there is not enough information to solve the problem without knowing the length of the third side or one of the angles. It is also noted that having three knowns is not always sufficient to determine a triangle. The conversation concludes with the mention of a possible solution involving the movement of the triangle's sides, but it is still stated that there is not enough information to find the angle theta.
duplaimp
DdT3U.png

I have this triangle and I know just the two sides indicated there. How can I find angle theta?
I tried decomposing the triangle in two right triangles and using trigonometry find one side, but I can't figure how to do that using just the hypotenuse

Mathematics news on Phys.org
duplaimp said:
DdT3U.png

I have this triangle and I know just the two sides indicated there. How can I find angle theta?
I tried decomposing the triangle in two right triangles and using trigonometry find one side, but I can't figure how to do that using just the hypotenuse

There isn't enough information there to solve the problem - unless the bottom length of the triangle is parallel to the x-axis as it looks to be?

If so, there's an angle within the triangle which is also equal to [itex]\theta[/itex] given the property that the two lines are parallel.

Mentallic said:
There isn't enough information there to solve the problem - unless the bottom length of the triangle is parallel to the x-axis as it looks to be?

If so, there's an angle within the triangle which is also equal to [itex]\theta[/itex] given the property that the two lines are parallel.

Yes, it is parallel. But how can I find that?

And how could I find the unknown side dimension? I would try with [itex]\sqrt{2.80^2 + 7.40^2}[/itex] but it isn't a right triangle

There is not enough information to determine the angle theta even if the base of the triangle is parallel to the upper line.

In addition to the lengths of the two sides, you would need to know the length of the third side or one of the angles of the triangle.

In general: you need to know three of the six variables (3 sides plus 3 angles) commonly used to describe a triangle.

Moreover:

1. Knowing 3 angles is not enough; at least one of the knowns must be a side length.

2. Sometimes 3 knowns is not enough. Knowing 2 sides and their non-included angle can lead to 2 possible solutions, in some cases.

Given that the lower side is parallel to the x-axis, that angle [itex]\theta[/itex] is the same as the angle in the triangle between the side labeled "7.40" and the side that is not labeled. But, as Redbelly98 said, just knowing the lengths of two sides is not sufficient to determine the triangle.

IF we were given the length of the third side, say, "x", then we could use the "cosine law" [itex]2.8^2= 7.4^2+ x^2- 2(7.4)x cos(\theta)[/itex] and solve that for [itex]\theta[/itex]. But without knowing x, the best we could do is say that
[tex]cos(\theta)= \frac{7.4^2+ x^2- 2.8^2}{2(7.4x)}= \frac{x^2- 6.7056}{14.8x}[/tex]
x must be such that the right side is between -1 and 1, but the angle still depends upon x.

I forgot to say that the hypotenuse was determined using the information that it moved 2.80km SW.. so SW is 45º and with that is now possible to find all the other sides. But thanks anyway for the help :)

Not enough information. You can move the bottom left or right while still maintaining the givens, but have an infinite number of triangles.

1. How do I find the angle of a triangle?

To find the angle of a triangle, you can use the trigonometric functions sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions use the lengths of the sides of the triangle to calculate the angles. Alternatively, you can also use the inverse trigonometric functions to find the angle directly from the ratio of the sides.

2. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how does it relate to finding the angle of a triangle?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. This theorem is often used in finding the length of one side of a right triangle, which can then be used to find the angle using trigonometric functions.

3. How do I find the x coordinate of a triangle?

The x coordinate of a triangle can be found using the distance formula or by using the coordinates of the vertices and applying the midpoint formula. The x coordinate is the horizontal distance from the origin or any other reference point to the point on the triangle.

4. Can I find the angle and x coordinate of a triangle if I only know the lengths of the sides?

Yes, you can use the law of cosines and law of sines to find the angle and x coordinate of a triangle if you only know the lengths of the sides. These laws use the ratios of the sides to calculate the angles and coordinates.

5. What is the difference between finding the angle and x coordinate of a triangle in degrees and radians?

The angle and x coordinate of a triangle can be expressed in either degrees or radians. Degrees are a unit of measurement commonly used in geometry and trigonometry, while radians are a unit of measurement used in advanced mathematics and physics. To convert between the two, you can use the formula: degrees = radians * (180/pi).