Heat of a bic lighter? A medium to lower it's heat?

In summary: Thanks.In summary, bics are unsafe to play with and there is no definitive answer to the temperature of a bic lighter after around 5 seconds.
algar32
1.I know this is a weird question, but does anyone know what the temperature of a bic lighter is after around 5 seconds? If left on for a minute? In my research I have come across so many different answers and was hoping to get a more concrete answer. Once I have the needed testing apparatus I will test myself, but was hoping someone might have a ball park idea.

2.How much do these temperatures vary on average?

3.What would be a good material to diffuse this heat to around 400 to 500 degrees F? I was hoping to make a small (within 1"x1"x1")plate or cup shape that could diffuse this heat to 400F-500F range. Is this possible? I have been looking at materials that are poor conductors of heat, but what I really want is a material that heats up quickly and evenly, but lowers the temperature as desired? Does such a material exist?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would seriously recommend that you don't play around with that stuff. There are facts, and there are urban legends, and all of them caution against flicking your Bic the wrong way. An item in Hot Rod (or Car Craft; I can't remember which) back in the 70's mentioned a guy had his leg blown off because he was welding and a spark infiltrated the Bic in his pocket. I do not personally believe that as reported (especially since they said that one Bic was equivalent to 6 sticks of dynamite; I mean, what kind? 60% Forcite? 40% Forcite? Really, now...) I did personally toss a Bic into a fire pit several years ago, and we all stood very far away to see what happened. It actually just cooked off the same way that a firearms cartridge would have. There was a tiny "pop", then a small jet of fire as the butane burned away.

Danger said:
I would seriously recommend that you don't play around with that stuff. There are facts, and there are urban legends, and all of them caution against flicking your Bic the wrong way. An item in Hot Rod (or Car Craft; I can't remember which) back in the 70's mentioned a guy had his leg blown off because he was welding and a spark infiltrated the Bic in his pocket. I do not personally believe that as reported (especially since they said that one Bic was equivalent to 6 sticks of dynamite; I mean, what kind? 60% Forcite? 40% Forcite? Really, now...) I did personally toss a Bic into a fire pit several years ago, and we all stood very far away to see what happened. It actually just cooked off the same way that a firearms cartridge would have. There was a tiny "pop", then a small jet of fire as the butane burned away.

Do you really think putting a lighter under some type of medium will be dangerous? I imagine bics are fairly safe devices nowadays, but I will definitely be cautious if I proceed. Thanks.

Does anyone know of what type of material would be best for what I am attempting to do?

You want a low temperature combustion. Try using the catalyst-impregnated handwarmer wick. It is designed to work with volatilized lighter fluid but it should also work with butane. I believe it to be an alumina fabric impregnated with something like palladium or platinum. The Zippo company refers to it as the "catalytic burner".

I can provide some insights on the heat of a bic lighter and potential ways to lower it.

1. The temperature of a bic lighter after 5 seconds and after a minute can vary depending on a variety of factors such as the type of lighter, the fuel used, and the surrounding environment. However, on average, the temperature can range from 800-1000 degrees Fahrenheit after 5 seconds and can reach up to 1500 degrees Fahrenheit after a minute.

2. The temperatures can vary on average due to the factors mentioned above. It is important to conduct controlled experiments to accurately determine the temperature of a bic lighter in specific conditions.

3. To diffuse the heat of a bic lighter to around 400-500 degrees Fahrenheit, it is important to use a material that is a good insulator and can withstand high temperatures. Some potential materials could be ceramic, glass, or certain types of metals such as stainless steel. It is important to note that it may not be possible to achieve a specific temperature range with just one material, and a combination of different materials may be needed to effectively diffuse the heat.

Additionally, it is important to consider the design and shape of the material in order to evenly distribute the heat and prevent hot spots. It may also be helpful to use a heat-resistant coating on the material to further improve its ability to diffuse heat.

In conclusion, while it may be challenging to find a material that can quickly heat up and evenly diffuse heat to a specific temperature range, it is possible with the right combination of materials and design. I would recommend conducting further research and experimentation to find the most suitable solution to your specific needs.

1. What is the heat of a bic lighter?

The heat of a bic lighter depends on the type of fuel used and the size of the flame. On average, the heat can range from 300-500 degrees Celsius.

2. How does the heat of a bic lighter compare to other heat sources?

The heat of a bic lighter is relatively low compared to other heat sources such as a campfire or a stove. However, it is still sufficient for lighting cigarettes, candles, and small fires.

3. Can the heat of a bic lighter be controlled?

Yes, the heat of a bic lighter can be controlled by adjusting the size of the flame. This can be done by adjusting the valve on the lighter or by holding the flame closer or further away from the object being heated.

4. What factors affect the heat of a bic lighter?

The main factor that affects the heat of a bic lighter is the type of fuel used. Lighters with higher quality fuels tend to produce a hotter flame. The size and design of the lighter also play a role in determining the heat output.

5. Is there a way to lower the heat of a bic lighter?

Yes, there are a few ways to lower the heat of a bic lighter. One way is to adjust the size of the flame to a smaller size. Another way is to hold the flame further away from the object being heated. Additionally, using a lower quality fuel can also result in a lower heat output.