TMR for pain management. Anyone use?

In summary, the nurse friend claims that this TMR treatment is very helpful for recovering from hamstring injuries. However, it is only a marginal improvement at best and may need more treatments in order to see any real progress.
My wife has had a bad hamstring for soccer for over nearly a year. She even took a few months off with no help. Anyway, one of her soccer teammates is a nurse who works at a pain management center. She recommended my wife come in and try this TMR treatment. Apparently it just electrocutes your muscles into recovery lol. Anyway, the nurse friend claims she's helped over 3000 athletes. She's pretty nice and good friends, so no reason to doubt her.

Just curious if anyone has had it or knows anything about it.

I think this is the product
http://scientificimaginetics.com/patients.php

Biology news on Phys.org
Is that the same things as TENS devices? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcutaneous_electrical_nerve_stimulation

If so, I have several friends who have gotten relief from pain of various kinds using TENS devices. I also have a friend who is a physical trainer, and she routinely uses TENS on her patients. The prices on the devices have come down a lot over the past few years.

Looks similar. She has a treatment tomorrow. We'll find out how good it is! Thanks for the feedback.

Greg Bernhardt said:
My wife has had a bad hamstring for soccer for over nearly a year. She even took a few months off with no help. Anyway, one of her soccer teammates is a nurse who works at a pain management center. She recommended my wife come in and try this TMR treatment. Apparently it just electrocutes your muscles into recovery lol. Anyway, the nurse friend claims she's helped over 3000 athletes. She's pretty nice and good friends, so no reason to doubt her.

Just curious if anyone has had it or knows anything about it.

I think this is the product
http://scientificimaginetics.com/patients.php

Hi Greg, you can also check the literature. I've made a special selection: Pubmed, high impact journals

Greg Bernhardt said:
Looks similar. She has a treatment tomorrow. We'll find out how good it is! Thanks for the feedback.

How did the treatment go?

berkeman said:
How did the treatment go?

5 treatments in and it's marginal progress at best. Time to see a sports doctor.

Sorry to hear that. Yeah, a sports doc is the right way to go. I know a good one in NorCal, but that's of no help to you... :smile:

1. What is TMR and how does it work?

TMR stands for targeted muscle reinnervation and is a surgical procedure that involves redirecting nerves to muscles in order to restore movement and sensation in amputated limbs. TMR has been found to be effective in managing pain by providing a new pathway for nerve signals to travel and reducing the sensation of pain.

2. How effective is TMR for managing pain?

Studies have shown that TMR can significantly reduce pain in amputees, with some patients reporting complete relief from pain and others reporting a significant decrease in pain levels. However, the effectiveness of TMR may vary depending on the individual and the specific type of pain they are experiencing.

3. What types of pain can TMR help with?

TMR has been found to be effective in managing different types of pain, including phantom limb pain, residual limb pain, and neuroma pain. It has also been shown to be beneficial for patients with chronic pain due to nerve injury or trauma.

4. Are there any risks or side effects associated with TMR?

As with any surgical procedure, there are potential risks and side effects associated with TMR. These may include infection, bleeding, nerve damage, and scarring. However, these risks can be minimized by choosing a skilled and experienced surgeon.

5. Is TMR covered by insurance?

Currently, TMR is not widely covered by insurance, but some insurance companies may cover it on a case-by-case basis. It is important to check with your insurance provider to see if they cover TMR for pain management and what the requirements are for coverage.