120 GPa Just what kind of a chamber can take that pressure?

In summary: CompressionIn summary, according to Wikipedia, Tetraoxygen forms at 20 GPa and turns into a metallic form at 96 GPa. Elsewhere on the web I read that (someone) has tested this solid oxygen at up to 120 GPa which is over 17 million PSI! So what kind of container would you need to hold that together? How thick walled of a sphere would you need? I wonder how much they are testing; maybe it's pretty small, because I would think you would need a chamber with walls feet thick to stand up to that kind of pressure. I wonder what kind of compressor they're using... I can't imagine getting anything to seal at that pressure. Does anyone know much about such
alancj
Ok, according to Wikipedia, Tetraoxygen forms at 20 GPa and turns into a metallic form at 96 GPa. Elsewhere on the web I read that (someone) has tested this solid oxygen at up to 120 GPa which is over 17 million PSI!

So what kind of container would you need to hold that together? How thick walled of a sphere would you need? I wonder how much they are testing; maybe it's pretty small, because I would think you would need a chamber with walls feet thick to stand up to that kind of pressure. I wonder what kind of compressor they're using... I can't imagine getting anything to seal at that pressure.

Does anyone know much about such extreme pressures? Just out of curiosity, if the inner chamber was 10 inches and made of good quality steel how thick walled would a sphere have to be?

-Alan

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just use the standard hoop stress calculation to get a thickness. It neglects end conditions in pressure vessels, but it would get you in the ball park of what you are looking at. It would also depend greatly on the desired size of the vessel. A smaller vessel would see less stress. It will be huge though for a plain carbon steel. Something to hold back 17 million psi is not going to happen easily that's for sure.

Pressure like 100's GPa (millions of psi, or 1000's ksi) are pretty much the domain of devices like the diamond anvil. Simply because of the large stress, which are in excess of the ultimate tensile and shear strengths of any material.

The diamond anvil is under compression - not tension - and that is a BIG difference.

The inner core has a pressure of about 350 GPa - http://www.everything-science.com/content/view/21/2/

See also - http://www.llnl.gov/str/Minarik.html

1. What exactly is 120 GPa and how does it relate to pressure?

120 GPa stands for gigapascals, which is a unit of pressure. It is equivalent to approximately 1.2 million times the atmospheric pressure at sea level.

2. Can you give an example of something that would require a chamber capable of withstanding 120 GPa?

Many industrial processes, such as diamond synthesis and shock wave experiments, require chambers that can withstand extreme pressures like 120 GPa.

3. How is a chamber able to withstand such high pressures?

The key is in the design and materials used for the chamber. It must be made of strong and durable materials, such as steel or titanium, and have a robust structure to prevent deformation or collapse under high pressure.

4. Are there any safety precautions that need to be taken when working with such high pressures?

Yes, there are strict safety protocols that must be followed when working with high pressures. This includes proper training, regular maintenance and inspection of equipment, and wearing protective gear.

5. Are there any limitations to the type of experiments that can be conducted in a chamber with 120 GPa pressure?

While a chamber with 120 GPa pressure can handle a wide range of experiments, there are some limitations. Extremely sensitive materials, such as biological samples, may not be able to withstand such high pressures and may require specialized equipment.