Question on what a Real and Virtual images are

In summary, real images are formed by actual light rays and can be projected onto a screen, while virtual images are formed by the apparent intersection of light rays and cannot be projected onto a screen. Examples of real images include those formed by a camera, projector, or magnifying glass, while virtual images can be seen in plane or convex mirrors, microscopes, or telescopes. To determine if an image is real or virtual, one can trace the path of light rays and see if they converge or appear to diverge.
pavadrin
Hi
I was wondering if somebody could kindly tell me what the difference between a real and a virtual image is.
The way I which I know them apart is that in a real image the light rays actually intersect, while a virtual image the light rays diverge , thus never actually intersect. Is this correct?
Thanks
Pavadrin

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks Hootenanny

What is a real image?

A real image is a type of image that can be projected onto a screen and is formed by actual rays of light. It is formed when light rays converge at a point after passing through a lens or reflecting off a curved mirror.

What is a virtual image?

A virtual image is a type of image that cannot be projected onto a screen and is formed by the apparent intersection of light rays. It is formed when light rays appear to diverge from a point after passing through a lens or reflecting off a curved mirror.

What is the main difference between real and virtual images?

The main difference between real and virtual images is that real images can be projected onto a screen and are formed by actual light rays, while virtual images cannot be projected onto a screen and are formed by the apparent intersection of light rays.

What are some examples of real and virtual images?

Examples of real images include images formed by a camera, a projector, or a magnifying glass. Examples of virtual images include images seen in a plane or convex mirror, or images formed by a microscope or a telescope.

How can one determine if an image is real or virtual?

One can determine if an image is real or virtual by tracing the path of light rays. If the light rays converge at a point, the image is real. If the light rays appear to diverge from a point, the image is virtual.