Advice for Buying a Math Program for a Junior Math Major

In summary: I am going to buy a laptop this fall and I was wondering if there was a specific math program that I should buy or if there are any general ones that I should look into. I have no programming experience so I was wondering if that would be a big problem.There are a lot of different math programs out there, so it really depends on what you are looking for. I would recommend that you consult with your department's system administrator or software advisor to get a better idea of what would be best for you. Some of the more popular programs include Maple, Matlab, and Maxima.
chev_bigblock
So here's the situation:
I am going to be a junior (this fall), and am majoring in mathematics. That being said, I have just about zero computer background (although I am taking computer science 1 in the fall, as I think it would be a good thing to learn). So anyway, I decided I want to buy a laptop and put some "heavy duty" math programs on it. I was wondering if there was a math program(s) that any fellow math people would recommend- like mathematica, maple, matlab, etc... Also how hard are they to learn how to use? Like I said, right now I know just about zero programming stuff, and have had no experience with these programs (I've done everything on paper so far). Any advice?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Maple is very powerful and easy to learn. If you're looking for a free alternative, I recommend maxima.
...and have had no experience with these programs (I've done everything on paper so far). Any advice?
Yea, try to keep it this way. Its better!

I'm agree

It's absolutely better to do most things on paper, however, a computer can be a very helpful tool. I think students have to be careful to not use it to do their work- but I also believe if used correctly, it can aid learning... but what do I know? I've had very little experience with them. Anyway, thanks for the reply!

Even with an educational discount, most of the biggies are still pretty expensive, with Mathcad perhaps being an exception (student edition is pretty limited though). Without a lot of computer or programming experience, you'll have a pretty steep learning curve to climb. I'd recommend adding a few introductory programming courses to your schedule.

If you're on a budget (and what university student isn't?), I recommend the following free alternatives:

* Octave - Matlab like clone (http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/)
* R - S like clone for doing stats (http://www.r-project.org/)
* Maxima - for doing symbolic stuff (http://maxima.sourceforge.net/)

All of them have pretty self-contained binaries available for Windows.

I recommend Maple for a mathematician but before buying a software consult to your department's system administrator. Some universities have a campus license for some programs. Learning Maple may be harder than some other but it worths. I also recommend you to learn a programming language like Fortran for numerical cases. Octave and Maxima are very good programs and having a knowledge about them would be nice for you.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, they have been helpful.

What factors should I consider when buying a math program for a junior math major?

When buying a math program for a junior math major, you should consider factors such as the program's level of difficulty, the topics covered, the accessibility of resources and support, the cost, and the compatibility with the student's learning style.

How can I determine the level of difficulty for a math program?

You can determine the level of difficulty for a math program by looking at the prerequisite knowledge and skills needed for the program, as well as the complexity of the mathematical concepts and problems it covers. You can also read reviews and ask for recommendations from other students or professors.

What topics should a good math program for a junior math major cover?

A good math program for a junior math major should cover fundamental topics such as algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. It should also include more advanced topics like linear algebra, differential equations, and probability theory.

How important is accessibility of resources and support when choosing a math program?

Accessibility of resources and support is crucial when choosing a math program for a junior math major. The program should provide easy access to textbooks, practice problems, and online resources. It should also offer support through tutorials, study guides, and a help desk for any questions or difficulties the student may encounter.

Is it necessary to consider the student's learning style when buying a math program?

Yes, it is essential to consider the student's learning style when buying a math program. Some students may learn better through visual aids, while others may prefer hands-on activities or traditional lectures. Look for a program that offers a variety of teaching methods to cater to different learning styles.