Free fall acceleration of a bolt

In summary, we solved a problem involving a bolt being dropped from a bridge under construction and falling 98m to the valley below. Using a quadratic equation, we found that it takes approximately 0.73 seconds to pass through the last 30% of its fall, and its speed at the beginning of that last 30% is 36.69m/s. We also determined that its speed when it reaches the valley beneath the bridge is 43.85m/s. Another method to solve this problem involves finding the total time of the drop and subtracting the time of the first 70%, which gives the same result for the time needed to pass through the last 30%. Overall, we successfully solved the problem and found the
suxatphysix

Homework Statement

A bolt is dropped from a bridge under construction, falling 98 m to the valley below the bridge.

(a) In how much time does it pass through the last 30% of its fall?

(b) What is its speed when it begins that last 30% of its fall?

(c) What is its speed when it reaches the valley beneath the bridge?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried splitting the problem into 2 parts by multiplying 98 x .3 to solve for the final velocity for the first 70% of the fall, then using that velocity as the initial velocity for the 30% of the fall and the other 30%(29.4m) of the trip.

[tex]\Delta[/tex]t=-vi +/- [tex]\sqrt{vi^{2}+2ay}[/tex] / a

Physics news on Phys.org
suxatphysix said:

Homework Statement

A bolt is dropped from a bridge under construction, falling 98 m to the valley below the bridge.

(a) In how much time does it pass through the last 30% of its fall?

(b) What is its speed when it begins that last 30% of its fall?

(c) What is its speed when it reaches the valley beneath the bridge?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried splitting the problem into 2 parts by multiplying 98 x .3 to solve for the final velocity for the first 70% of the fall, then using that velocity as the initial velocity for the 30% of the fall and the other 30%(29.4m) of the trip.

That's a good approach. What answers did you get?

got 8.20 for part a seconds but it was wrong. so i stopped at part a

suxatphysix said:
got 8.20 for part a seconds but it was wrong. so i stopped at part a

Can you show what you did to get that?

vf[tex]^{2}[/tex]=0 + 2(-9.8m/s^2)(-68.6m)
vf= 36.69m/s

[tex]\Delta[/tex]t = -36.69m/s +/-[tex]\sqrt{36.69m/s^2 + 2(-9.8m/s^2)(-29.4) }[/tex] /-9.81

=8.20s

suxatphysix said:
vf[tex]^{2}[/tex]=0 + 2(-9.8m/s^2)(-68.6m)
vf= 36.69m/s

[tex]\Delta[/tex]t = -36.69m/s +/-[tex]\sqrt{36.69m/s^2 + 2(-9.8m/s^2)(-29.4) }[/tex] /-9.81

=8.20s

Everything looks right except, your denominator in your quadratic solution... I think it should be 9.81, not -9.81... so you'll chose the positive numerator instead of the negative one...

Last edited:
why 9.81 when gravity is always negative?that means the time would actually be 0.723? i don't know if that sounds logical

Last edited:
suxatphysix said:
why 9.81 when gravity is always negative?

Can you write out the quadratic equation you had?

Ah... I think I see now.

vf=0 + 2(-9.8m/s^2)(-68.6m)
vf= 36.69m/s

Here you should have taken vf as -36.69m/s, not +36.69m/s. ie the negative square root is what you want.

suxatphysix said:

Yes, that equation is correct.

omg it was right! thanks!

now to try and answer part b and c.

suxatphysix said:
omg it was right! thanks!

now to try and answer part b and c.

cool! another way to solve that problem that I just saw... you can get the total time of the drop. and subtract the time of the first 70%

So solving (1/2)gt^2 = 98, gives t = 4.4699s. And the solve the time for the first 70%. (1/2)gt^2 = 0.7*98, gives t = 3.7397s, so the difference is the time you need 0.730s.

i got both b and c.

b - 36.69
c - 43.85

thanks learningphysics for getting me started on that problem.
Much appreciation.

suxatphysix said:
i got both b and c.

b - 36.69
c - 43.85

thanks learningphysics for getting me started on that problem.
Much appreciation.

cool! no prob. good job!

1. What is the definition of free fall acceleration?

Free fall acceleration is the rate at which an object falls towards the ground under the influence of gravity. It is a constant value of 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²) on Earth.

2. How does the mass of a bolt affect its free fall acceleration?

The mass of a bolt does not affect its free fall acceleration. All objects, regardless of their mass, will accelerate towards the ground at the same rate due to gravity.

3. Is free fall acceleration affected by air resistance?

Yes, air resistance can affect the free fall acceleration of a bolt. As the bolt falls, it will experience air resistance which can slow down its acceleration. However, in most cases, the effect of air resistance on a small object like a bolt is negligible.

4. How is free fall acceleration measured?

Free fall acceleration can be measured using a device called an accelerometer. This device measures the acceleration of an object, allowing for the calculation of free fall acceleration. It can also be calculated using the equation a = g - (F/m), where a is acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity, F is the force of air resistance, and m is the mass of the object.

5. Does free fall acceleration change on different planets?

Yes, the free fall acceleration of a bolt will vary on different planets. This is because the acceleration due to gravity is dependent on the mass and radius of the planet. For example, on the moon, free fall acceleration is 1.6 m/s², while on Jupiter it is 24.8 m/s².