Block on a frictionless incline

In summary, the block moves down the incline at a speed of 5.621 m/s and hits the floor after traveling 1.234 m.
pcandrepair

Homework Statement

A block of mass m = 2.00 kg is released from rest at h = 0.500 m from the surface of a table, at the top of a θ = 35.0° incline as shown below. The frictionless incline is fixed on a table of height H = 2.00 m.

How much time has elapsed between when the block is released and when it hits the floor?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was required to find the acceleration of the block as it moves down the incline. I found that to be 5.621 m/s^2

I then found the velocity at the point where the block leaves the incline to be 3.13 m/s.

Then I found the distance that the block travels from when it leaves the table to when it hits the ground. This I found to be 1.234 m.

Then I attempted to find the total time of the blocks movement:

Velocity in the y direction:
Vyo = 3.13 Cos(55)
Vyo = -1.7953 m/s

Time for the block from the edge of the table to the floor:
Y = Yo + Vyo - 1/2at^2
0 = 2m - 1.7953t - 1/2(9.8)t^2
t = .48143 sec

Velocity in the x direction:
Vxo = 3.13 Sin(55)
Vxo = 2.56395 m/s

Vf = Vo + at

2.56395 = 0 + 5.621(t)
t = .456 sec

So, the total time would be the two times added together:
.48143 sec + .456 sec = .93743 sec

I submitted this answer and it said it was within 10% of the correct answer...Am I making some sort of rounding error or is there some mistake in my calculations? Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• p5-62.gif
    p5-62.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 737
Physics news on Phys.org
"2.56395 = 0 + 5.621(t)
t = .456 sec"

why are you using 2.56395 instead of 3.13 here?

That would explain my mistake. I was using the horizontal component of the velocity. When I use 3.13 I get 1.03827 sec, which is correct. Thanks a lot learningphysics!

pcandrepair said:
That would explain my mistake. I was using the horizontal component of the velocity. When I use 3.13 I get 1.03827 sec, which is correct. Thanks a lot learningphysics!

no prob.

1. What is a block on a frictionless incline?

A block on a frictionless incline refers to a physical system in which a block is placed on a surface with no friction and is tilted at an angle. This allows the block to move down the incline without any resistance.

2. How does the angle of incline affect the motion of the block?

The angle of incline affects the motion of the block by determining the acceleration of the block. The steeper the incline, the greater the acceleration of the block will be.

3. What are the forces acting on a block on a frictionless incline?

There are two main forces acting on a block on a frictionless incline: the force of gravity pulling the block down the incline and the normal force exerted by the incline on the block, perpendicular to the surface.

4. How does the mass of the block affect its motion on a frictionless incline?

The mass of the block does not affect its motion on a frictionless incline, as there is no friction present to resist the block's movement. Therefore, the acceleration of the block will be the same regardless of its mass.

5. What is the equation for calculating the acceleration of a block on a frictionless incline?

The equation for calculating the acceleration of a block on a frictionless incline is a = g sinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of incline in radians.