Natural frequency of a spring(self-weight only)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the resonance frequency for a spring with self-weight only. The formula f = (1/2pi)(k/m)^1/2 is suggested, taking into consideration the mass of the spring itself. The discussion also touches on deriving the equation using the density and angular velocity, and using integration to solve for the frequency.
paddydolly
natural frequency of a spring(self-weight only)

giving the length,mass, and spring constant of a spring...how do you find the resonance frequency..having been thinking about this question for so long, does anyone know how to approach this question...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
natural frequency of a spring(self-weight only)

Homework Statement

a 10 cm long brass coil with spring constant 2 N/m, mass 0.1 kg and uniform density is pulled and released. With what frequency does it oscillate?
:confused:

Homework Equations

if i just use f=1/2pi*sqrt(k/m). its the frequency when i hang a weight of 0.1kg at the bottom, but in this case, the weight is distributed along the spring, if we use the idea of center of mass just for checking, the mass will be hung half way of the spring, which means frequency will definitely be different from the former case

The Attempt at a Solution

at equilibrium point, E(total)=E(kinetic)=[tex]\sum[/tex](0.5mv^2), (sum of Ekinetic for all points on the spring),since the v=wr where w is the angular velocity(constant for all small segments in the spring), r is radius of moving, which is the amplitude in this case.
so if Ekinetic=[tex]\sum[/tex].5m (w^2)r^2, integrate with respect to r,and evaluate form r=0 to r=r.
so Etotal=0.5m(w^2)1/3*r^3,
and at max aplitude, Etotal=Epotential=0.5kx^2=0.5k*r^2
so i got m(w^2)*1/3*r=k...cant not solve it since r is not given ,and it shouldn't matter..

Last edited:
Is this homework? Are you supposed to derive the equation?

i am supposed to derive it,can anyone tell my where to start.ran out of ideas...

Since the spring constant is given in the problem, the length of the spring is irrelevent.
Use the formula f = (1/2pi)(k/m)^1/2

Last edited:
What's the force due to a spring look like?

response to rl.bhat

i think this should be f=(1/2pi)sqrt(k/m)

as f*2pi=w

and w^2 = k/m

if i just use f=1/2pi*sqrt(k/m). its the frequency when i hang a weight of 0.1kg at the bottom, but in this case, the weight is distributed along the spring, if we use the idea of center of mass just for checking, the mass will be hung half way of the spring, which means frequency will definitely be different from the former case

When you consider the mass of the spring f = 1/2pi sqrt[k/(M + m/3)]
where M is the mass attached to the spring and m is the mass of the spring.

You have to get dU and dE(kinetic) in terms of density (m\L) and ω (or an equivalent) respectively, then use integration to get U and E(k). Then use E(total) = U + E(k) to solve for the ω, and that's your frequency. You should end up with ω relating to k, L and m.

What is the natural frequency of a spring?

The natural frequency of a spring refers to the frequency at which it will vibrate when subjected to no external forces except for its own weight.

How is the natural frequency of a spring calculated?

The natural frequency of a spring can be calculated using the formula: f = 1/2π√(k/m), where f is the natural frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass of the spring.

What factors affect the natural frequency of a spring?

The natural frequency of a spring is affected by its mass, stiffness, and length. Heavier springs have a lower natural frequency, while stiffer and longer springs have a higher natural frequency.

Why is the natural frequency of a spring important?

The natural frequency of a spring is important because it determines how it will respond to external forces. It is also used in various engineering applications, such as in the design of suspension systems and musical instruments.

Can the natural frequency of a spring be changed?

Yes, the natural frequency of a spring can be changed by altering its mass, stiffness, or length. Adding weight to the spring or changing its material can also affect its natural frequency.