Finding a Cubic Root: Pencil and Paper Technique

In summary, the technique to find a cubic root with just a pencil and paper involves using the Newton-Raphson scheme. This involves finding the x-intercept of the tangent line of the function f(x)=x^{3}-a at an initial value x_{0}. The iterative scheme then becomes x_{n}=\frac{2x_{n-1}^{3}+a}{3x_{n-1}^{2}}, n\geq{1}. This technique has been somewhat forgotten but can be remembered by checking out the Isaac Asimov story, "The Feeling of Power".
Wazovolan
I still remember how to extract a square root without a computer but could somebody remind me the technique to find a cubic root just with the pencil and paper?

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
I would suggest using some Newton-Raphson scheme.

1. Let [tex]f(x)=x^{3}-a[/tex]
You are to find X so that f(X)=0.

2. Pick an initial value [tex]x_{0}\to{f}(x_{0})=x_{0}^{3}-a[/tex]

3. The equation for the tangent line L(x)=at [tex](x_{0},f(x_{0})[/tex] is given by:
[tex]L(x)=f(x_{0})+f'(x_{0})(x-x_{0})[/tex]

4- Let the next iteration point be the x-intercept of L(x):
[tex]L(x_{1})=0\to{x}_{1}=x_{0}-\frac{f(x_{0})}{f'(x_{0}}[/tex]

5. Or, in this case, the iterative scheme becomes:
[tex]x_{n}=x_{n-1}-\frac{x_{n-1}-\frac{a}{x_{n-1}^{2}}}{3}[/tex]
That is:
[tex]x_{n}=\frac{2x_{n-1}^{3}+a}{3x_{n-1}^{2}}, n\geq{1}[/tex]

Last edited:
I'm actually old enough to remember this. It's been somewhat wisely forgotten. http://www.nist.gov/dads/HTML/cubeRoot.html. You may wish to also check out the Isaac Asimov story, "The Feeling of Power". Kind of haunting, these days.

Dick said:
I'm actually old enough to remember this. It's been somewhat wisely forgotten. http://www.nist.gov/dads/HTML/cubeRoot.html. You may wish to also check out the Isaac Asimov story, "The Feeling of Power". Kind of haunting, these days.
Thanks, now it is coming back!

1. How do I find the cubic root of a number using the pencil and paper technique?

To find the cubic root of a number using the pencil and paper technique, you will need to follow these steps:

• Step 1: Write the number whose cubic root you want to find on a piece of paper.
  • Step 2: Draw two horizontal lines to create a box around the number.
  • Step 3: Divide the box into three equal parts using two vertical lines.
  • Step 4: Starting from the rightmost vertical line, find the largest number whose cube is less than or equal to the first group of digits in the number.
  • Step 5: Write this number above the first group of digits and subtract its cube from the first group of digits.
  • Step 6: Bring down the next group of digits and repeat the process until you reach the end of the number.
  • Step 7: The number written above the first group of digits is the cubic root of the original number.

2. Is the pencil and paper technique for finding cubic roots accurate?

Yes, the pencil and paper technique for finding cubic roots is accurate if you follow the steps correctly. However, it may not be as precise as using a calculator or a computer, so there may be a small margin of error.

3. Can I use the pencil and paper technique for any number?

Yes, the pencil and paper technique can be used for any number to find its cubic root. However, for larger numbers, it may be more time-consuming and difficult to perform the calculations by hand.

4. How does the pencil and paper technique for finding cubic roots work?

The pencil and paper technique for finding cubic roots is based on the concept of successive approximation. It involves repeatedly finding the largest number whose cube is less than or equal to each group of digits in the original number and subtracting its cube from the group of digits. This process is repeated until the end of the number is reached, giving the cubic root as the final answer.

5. Are there any other methods for finding cubic roots?

Yes, there are other methods for finding cubic roots such as using a calculator or a computer program, or using the long division method. However, the pencil and paper technique is a simple and convenient method that can be performed without any external tools or devices.