Why doesn't the water levels equal each other in a U-shaped tube?

• Thread starter adam878787878
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tube Water
In summary, a U-shaped tube filled with water is closed on one end and about 1m tall. When water is removed from the open end, the water level in the closed end remains the same due to atmospheric pressure acting on the water. The pressure at the open end is greater than at the closed end, causing the water level to be lower. The pressure at the bottom of both tubes is the same, but the depth of the whole column, including any air above the water's surface, is taken into consideration when determining pressure. Any unevenness in pressure would cause the water to either rise or fall in the tube.
adam878787878

Homework Statement

This question starts by stating.. "a U-shaped tube filled with water is closed on one end. Tube is about 1m tall. When water is removed from the open end, the water level in the closed end doesn't change.."
Then a series of questions..

My question is, why doesn't the water levels equal each other on each end, after you remove the amount of water?
I know its a matter of atms acting on the water, but can't understand how that works.
any help is really appreciated.
Thanks you!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
How much atmo is pressing down on the water at the open end?
How much atmo is pressing down on the water at the closed end?

ok so the open end is exposed to atmospheric pressing down on it, but the closed end is not.
That is why open end will have lower water level than closed end right?
please tell me if this is correct understanding of this?

thanks!

Well, you've got the right answer, I can't say whether or not you understand it.

Do you?

thanks for the response. yes i think i understand it.
what about this: at a point at the bottem of both tubes (its u-shaped, so the bottem of it is shared) is the pressure greater, same, or less than pressure if both tubes at same level?

i know that pressure depends on depth, but I am confused because which depth do we consider (left and right tubes are different depths?

i actually mean left and right tubes have different levels. (so= different depths)

adam878787878 said:
thanks for the response. yes i think i understand it.
what about this: at a point at the bottem of both tubes (its u-shaped, so the bottem of it is shared) is the pressure greater, same, or less than pressure if both tubes at same level?
If the pressure on each side were uneven, what do you think would happen?

Think about the open end. If the (pressure at the bottom) were greater than (the water in the open end weighed), what would happen to it? If the (pressure at the bottom) were less than (the water in the open end weighed) what would it do?

adam878787878 said:
i know that pressure depends on depth, but I am confused because which depth do we consider (left and right tubes are different depths?
Pressure depends on the depth of the whole column, including any air above the water's surface (about 60 miles of it , which happens to exert a pressure of 1 atmosphere).

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of a u-shaped tube in a water experiment?

A u-shaped tube is used in experiments to demonstrate the principles of fluid pressure and equilibrium. It allows for the observation of water levels on both sides of the tube and how they change in response to different conditions.

2. How does the water level in a u-shaped tube change when the tube is tilted?

When the u-shaped tube is tilted, the water levels on both sides will adjust until they are at the same height. This is because of the principle of equilibrium, where the pressure on both sides of the tube must be equal.

3. Can the amount of water in a u-shaped tube affect the pressure?

Yes, the amount of water in the u-shaped tube can affect the pressure. The higher the water level, the greater the pressure exerted at the bottom of the tube. This is due to the weight of the water creating a force called hydrostatic pressure.

4. How does the density of the water in a u-shaped tube affect the results?

The density of the water in a u-shaped tube can affect the results by changing the overall pressure in the tube. Water with a higher density will exert more pressure at the bottom of the tube compared to water with a lower density. This can impact the equilibrium and water levels on both sides of the tube.

5. What is the significance of using water in a u-shaped tube experiment?

Water is commonly used in u-shaped tube experiments because it is easily accessible, has a consistent density, and demonstrates the principles of fluid pressure and equilibrium well. It is also a safe and non-toxic substance to use in scientific experiments.