Magnetic field between two solenoids

In summary, when connecting two identical solenoids in series, the magnetic field between them will remain the same as the individual solenoid's magnetic field. This is because the number of turns per unit length and the current flow through each solenoid will be the same. However, the approximation formula for the magnetic field inside a solenoid may work better in this case, as it assumes a long solenoid without any gaps.
motornoob101
Say if I have two identical solenoids with equal number of turn etcs.. and I connect them in series such that their magnetic field add up. (instead of canceling each other)

What would be the magnetic field between them? If magnetic field due to one solenoid is B=u0IN/l, then is the magnetic field 2x that B value? (My reasoning is that the magnetic field lines from each solenoid adds up)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
the formula you are using:

[tex]
B = \mu_o nI
[/tex]

is an approximation that the magnetic field inside a solenoid is constant at all points and zero everywhere else. This approximation holds good for quite a many applications.

when you connect two solenoids, you have the same 'n' [as u said].. i.e the same number of turns per unit length. Since they are in series.. the current flow will be same through them in both cases i.e. connected one at a time or both at a time. This however assumes that the resistance of the solenoid is 0. [itex]\mu_o[/itex] is purely a property of the material in which the field propagates, which will be the same in both the cases i.e. Air.

so.. all things considered, the magnetic field will remain same inside the solenoid. However your approximation will work better in case of the two solenoids since this approximation depends on the fact that the solenoid be long. This however is valid only if there is no gap between those two solenoids i.e. they are connected one after the other without any leads between them.

Oh that make sense. thanks

1. What is a solenoid and how does it create a magnetic field?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that carries an electric current. The magnetic field is created by the flow of the electric current through the wire. The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the direction of the current flow.

2. How is the magnetic field between two solenoids affected by their distance?

The strength of the magnetic field between two solenoids is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the solenoids increases, the strength of the magnetic field decreases.

3. Can the magnetic field between two solenoids be controlled?

Yes, the magnetic field between two solenoids can be controlled by adjusting the current flowing through the coils or by changing the distance between them. Additionally, the direction of the current flow can also affect the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does the direction of the current affect the magnetic field between two solenoids?

The direction of the current flow through the solenoids determines the direction of the magnetic field. If the currents flow in the same direction, the magnetic fields will combine and strengthen. If the currents flow in opposite directions, the magnetic fields will cancel each other out.

5. What is the relationship between the number of turns in a solenoid and the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field between two solenoids is directly proportional to the number of turns in each coil. This means that as the number of turns increases, the strength of the magnetic field also increases.