Gradient of the graph y = a - k/x

In summary, the gradient of the graph y = a - k/x at the point where it crosses the x-axis is equal to -a^2/k. This can be found by calculating the derivative dy/dx at the point where x = k/a.
DeanBH
" find, in terms of a and k, the gradient of the graph y = a - k/x at the point where it crosses x axis."

ok i worked out dy/dx = k/x^2 and x = k/a when y = o.

now what do i do. =(

thx for help in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I imagine you would want to calculate dy/dx at that point by plugging in x = k/a into your expression for dy/dx.

How would you normally calculate the value of the derivative dy/dx at a point x?

Why are you all calculating derivatives? This is in the precalculus forum :confused:

The OP used derivatives, and it looks like a calculus problem. Maybe it should be moved?

didn't think it was worthy of the higher forum

i don't know how to simplify it properly, that's the problem. =(

can someone tell me how to simplify the answer, this isn't homework or coursework!

just revising need help! thanks

ah i think it should be:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = -[tex]\frac{k}{x^{2}}[/tex] = -[tex]\frac{k}{(\frac{k}{a})^{2}}[/tex] = - [tex]\frac{k}{\frac{k^{2}}{a^{2}}}[/tex] = -[tex]\frac{ka^{2}}{k^{2}}[/tex] = -[tex]\frac{a^{2}}{k}[/tex]
when y = 0

ineedmunchies said:
ah i think it should be:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = -[tex]\frac{k}{x^{2}}[/tex] = -[tex]\frac{k}{(\frac{k}{a})^{2}}[/tex] = - [tex]\frac{k}{\frac{k^{2}}{a^{2}}}[/tex] = -[tex]\frac{ka^{2}}{k^{2}}[/tex] = -[tex]\frac{a^{2}}{k}[/tex]
when y = 0

thought so, cheers beef

1. What is the significance of the gradient in the graph y = a - k/x?

The gradient, also known as the slope, represents the rate of change of the function y = a - k/x. It tells us how much the value of y changes for a given change in x. In other words, it indicates the steepness of the graph at any given point.

2. How do you calculate the gradient of the graph y = a - k/x?

The gradient can be calculated using the formula m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are any two points on the graph. Alternatively, you can also use the derivative of the function, which is -k/x^2.

3. What does a positive or negative gradient indicate in the graph y = a - k/x?

A positive gradient indicates that the function is increasing, while a negative gradient indicates that it is decreasing. In the graph y = a - k/x, a positive gradient means that the value of y increases as x increases, and a negative gradient means that the value of y decreases as x increases.

4. What does a zero gradient signify in the graph y = a - k/x?

A zero gradient means that the function is horizontal at that point. In other words, the value of y remains constant for a given change in x. In the graph y = a - k/x, this occurs when x = ±∞.

5. How does changing the value of k affect the graph y = a - k/x?

Changing the value of k affects the steepness of the graph. A larger value of k makes the graph steeper, while a smaller value of k makes it flatter. This also affects the gradient, as a larger k results in a steeper gradient, and a smaller k results in a shallower gradient.