What should I read before starting my degree in Physics?

• Programs
  • Thread starter thehammer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, before starting a degree in Physics, it is recommended to read "The Geometry of Algebraic Fermi Curves" by David Giesker, Horst Knorrer, and Eugene Trubowitz. However, standard textbooks like "Young and Freedman University Physics" or "Fundamentals of Physics" are also good options for preparation. If further maths has been completed, there is no need for additional preparation, but if not, it may be helpful to review topics such as complex numbers, matrices, and polar coordinates. Additionally, it would be beneficial to familiarize yourself with concepts in further mechanics, such as rotational mechanics. However, it is not necessary to do extensive preparation as these topics will also be covered in the first
thehammer
I am from the UK and am about to start my degree in Physics in approximately 25 days. At the moment I am very eager to do as well as I possibly can and would like to do some preparation. Would anyone be so kind as to suggest some things that I ought to read before I begin?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Geometry of Algebraic Fermi Curves (Perspectives in Mathematics) by David Giesker, Horst Knorrer, and Eugene Trubowitz is usually a prerequisite of most freshman physics courses, I definitely recommend!

haha, only joking, Young and Freedman University Physics is usually a standard textbook for first year in lots of places, or Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday and Resnick, so you could have a sift through them if you want to do some addittional prepartion. If you have done further maths you should be set to go on that front, if not then you could read around things like Complex numbers (Argand diagrams, de Moivre's theorem, Euler relation etc), Matrices(characteristic equation, eigenvectors/eigenvalues, determinants), scalar and vector products, polar coordinates, Taylor series. All this will usually be in some kind of prototypical maths 101 type course in your first semester. Also if you've not done further mechanics, check out things like rotational mechanics (moments of inertia, torque, angular momentum and so on).
To be honest if you're strong on the further maths front then there's really nothing else you need to begin, and even if not it's all going to be taught again so you don't really need to prep.

Congratulations on starting your degree in Physics! It's great to see that you are eager to do well and are looking for ways to prepare for your studies. I would suggest focusing on building a strong foundation in mathematics. Physics is heavily reliant on mathematical concepts, so having a solid understanding of calculus, algebra, and trigonometry will be beneficial.

Additionally, I would recommend familiarizing yourself with the basic principles and laws of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. You can find many online resources, textbooks, and introductory books on these topics that can help you get a head start before your classes begin.

Another helpful tip would be to practice problem-solving. Physics is a subject that requires a lot of problem-solving skills, so practicing with sample problems and working on your critical thinking abilities will give you an advantage in your studies.

Lastly, don't hesitate to reach out to your professors or academic advisors for any specific recommendations or resources that they may have for you. They are there to support you and can provide valuable insights on how to prepare for your degree.

Best of luck in your studies and enjoy your journey in the exciting world of physics!

What degree are you starting?

I am starting a degree in [specific field of study].

What university or college are you attending?

I will be attending [name of university or college].

How long will your degree program take?

The length of my degree program will depend on the specific requirements of my chosen field of study, but most undergraduate degrees take around 4 years to complete.

What courses will you be taking?

The courses I will be taking will also depend on my chosen field of study, but generally, I will be taking a combination of general education courses and courses specific to my major.

What career opportunities will be available after you complete your degree?

The career opportunities available to me after I complete my degree will depend on my field of study and the skills and knowledge I have gained throughout my program. However, obtaining a degree can open up a wide range of opportunities in fields related to my major.