Non Uniform Acceleration Linear Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the final velocity in terms of distance traveled with non-zero initial velocity. The acceleration formula is given as A/v-B*v^2, where A is related to horsepower and B is related to aerodynamic drag. The problem is solved using integration, with the final solution being v_f = (B*v_i^3 - A)/(B*e^(3B*Δx) + A/B) where v_i is the initial velocity and Δx is the distance traveled. Another problem involving acceleration varying linearly with velocity is also discussed, but the solution for final velocity in terms of distance traveled and initial velocity is not found.
baranij
1st I am having problems getting a solution for final Velocity in terms of Distance traveled with a non-zero initial velocity.

Acceleration = A / Velocity - B * Velocity^2

where A is a constant related to Hp (horsepower) of the vehicle and and B is a constant related to aerodynamic drag.
-----------------------------------------------------------

2nd simpler problem that I am also trying to solve involves:

Acceleration = m * Velocity + b where acceleration varies linearly with velocity. m & b are constants.
...this 2nd one I can solve for time and distance but not for Vf (Final Velocity) in terms of distance traveled and Vi (Initial Velocity).

time = 1/m * ln[(b-m*Vf)/(b-m*Vi)]
distance traveled = Vf/m - b/m^2 * ln(b+m*Vf) - Vi/m - b/m^2 * ln(b+m*Vi)
------------------------------------------------
How do I solve for Vf (Final Velocity) in terms of Distance traveled?:confused:

Thank you very much for any help.
Jan

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll try to help you out with #1. Is the acceleration constant? If not, I suppose you probably know how it varies in time, so you can take these steps:

I. Obtain the final velocity in terms of time:

[tex]v(t_{\text{final}}) = \int a(t)\,dt[/tex]

II. Obtain the final distance in terms of time:

[tex]s(t_{\text{final}}) = \int v(t)\, dt[/tex]

III. Invert the first result to obtain time in terms of velocity:

[tex]t_{\text{final}} = f(v_{\text{final}})[/tex]

IV. Plug in this time to your equation from step II and voila!

Thank you for the reply.

a(v) = A/v-B*v^2 where a=acceleration, v=velocity

The acceleration is not constant it varies depending on the velocity. Where I am getting stuck is the integrating. The "A/v" term when integrated ends up being a "ln(v)" and I can't separate "v" out of the equation anymore.

Here are the integrating questions that I need identities for:
[tex] \int (dx/dt)^(^-^1^)dt\,= ?[/tex]

[tex] \int (dx/dt)^(^2^)dt\,= ?[/tex]

[tex] \int (d(dx/dt)/dx) dt\,= ?[/tex]

I'm almost 10 years out of school so my integrating is a little rusty. I've been looking through books and the internet can't figure out how to integrate the above 3. Any help will be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Let's see,

is this your a = f(v)

[tex] a(v) = \frac{A}{v} - Bv^{2} [/tex]or

[tex] a(v) = \frac{A}{v - Bv^{2}} [/tex]?

By the way use the chain rule

[tex] a = \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dv}{dx} \frac{dx}{dt} = v \frac{dv}{dx} [/tex]

Last edited:
Your 1st one is the problem at hand:

[tex] a(v) = \frac{A}{v} - Bv^{2} [/tex]

I've used the chain rule and tried to integrate but get stuck on trying to separate out Vfinal in terms of Vinitial and [tex]\Delta[/tex]X. So far I've always had Vfinal in terms of [tex]\Delta[/tex]X AND time.

The integration is killing me...already been through over 10 sheets of paper over the last few days to but keep going in circles. At this point I'm not sure there is a closed form solution to the problem...I really hope there is.

Thank you,
Jan

[tex] a(v) = \frac{A}{v} - Bv^{2} [/tex]

[tex] v \frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{A}{v} - Bv^{2} [/tex]

We agree on this right?

Ok, now let's see your work from here.

Hint:

[tex] \frac{dv}{dx} = g(v) h(x) [/tex]

[tex] \int \frac{dv}{g(v)} = \int \frac{dx}{h(x)} [/tex]

Ah and by the way, the integration for [itex] \frac{dv}{g(v)} [/itex] is a simple substitution.

Last edited:
Its been 7 years since college so I'm a bit rusty in my Integration, but don't you get:

[tex] \int \frac{dv}{g(v)} = \int {d(x)}{h(x)} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dv}{dx} = g(v) h(x) [/tex]

instead of:

[tex] \int \frac{dv}{g(v)} = \int \frac{dx}{h(x)} [/tex]

Now I'm a bit confused as to what [tex] h(x) [/tex] does for me there. Do I substitute [tex] g(v) h(x) [/tex] in and try to solve:
[tex] \int {v*} {d(x)}{h(x)} [/tex] = [tex] \int \frac{\frac{A}{v}-Bv^{2}}{g(v)}[/tex]

That's not what I meant. Let me use another example

Say you have this ordinary differential equation (separable like yours)

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = (y-1)^{2} [/tex]

We can do this (Note: [itex] \frac{dy}{dx} [/itex] is not a fraction. It's fraction-like behavior (in some cases like separable ODE) is attributed to the chain rule)

[tex] \int \frac{dy}{(y-1)^{2}} = \int dx [/tex]

Just noticed yeah it is [itex] \int g(x)dx [/itex] for[tex] \frac{dv}{dx} = g(v) h(x) [/tex]

did you get is

[tex] \int_{v(0)}^{v} \frac{vdv}{\frac{A}{v} - Bv^{2}} = \int_{x(0)}^{x} dx [/tex]

The integral on the left is a simple substitution and the integral on the right is elemental.

Last edited:
[tex] \int_{x(0)}^{x} dx = \int_{v(0)}^{v} \frac{vdv}{\frac{A}{v} - Bv^{2}} [/tex]

The integral on the left is a simple substitution and the integral on the right is elemental.[/QUOTE]

[tex] \int dx = \int (\frac{{v^{2}}}{A-Bv^{3}}) dv [/tex]

[tex] \int dx = \int (\frac{1}{A-Bv^{3}}) v^{2} dv [/tex]

[tex] u=g(x)=(A-Bv^{3}) [/tex] ...&... [tex] f(u)=\frac{1}{g(x)} [/tex] ...&... [tex] d(u)=g'(x)=v^{2} [/tex]

[tex] \int dx =\int f(u) du = \int \frac{1}{u} du [/tex]

[tex] x |^{x^{f}}_{x^{i}} = ln(u) |^{u^{f}}_{u^{i}} [/tex]

[tex] x |^{x^{f}}_{x^{i}} = ln(A-Bv^{3}) |^{v^{f}}_{v^{i}} [/tex]
am I getting warm? :)

You're doing ok, except that the differentiation of [itex] A - Bv^{3} [/itex] is not just [itex] v^2 [/itex] what about -3B?

OK, Here goes again:

[tex] \int_{x(0)}^{x} dx = \int_{v(0)}^{v} \frac{vdv}{\frac{A}{v} - Bv^{2}} [/tex]

[tex] \int dx = \int (\frac{{v^{2}}}{A-Bv^{3}}) dv [/tex]

[tex] \int dx = \int (\frac{1}{A-Bv^{3}}) v^{2} dv = \frac{1}{-3B}\int (\frac{1}{A-Bv^{3}}) (-3B)v^{2} dv[/tex]

[tex] u=g(x)=(A-Bv^{3}) [/tex] ...&... [tex] f(u)=\frac{1}{g(x)} [/tex] ...&... [tex] d(u)=g'(x)=-3Bv^{2} [/tex]

[tex] \int dx =\int f(u) du = \frac{1}{-3B}\int \frac{1}{u} du [/tex]

[tex] x |^{x_{f}}_{x_{i}} = \frac{1}{-3B}ln(u) |^{u_{f}}_{u_{i}} [/tex]

[tex] x |^{x_{f}}_{x_{i}} = \frac{1}{-3B}ln(A-Bv^{3}) |^{v_{f}}_{v_{i}} [/tex]

Sloving it I get:

[tex] v_{f} = \sqrt[3]{ \frac{Bv^{3}_{i}-A}{Be^{(3B*\Delta x)}} +\frac{A}{B} }[/tex]

To solve for time based on initial and final speed:

[tex] \int_{t_{0}}^{t_{F}} dt = \int_{v_{0}}^{v_{F}} \frac{dv}{\frac{A}{v} - Bv^{2}} [/tex]

[tex] \int dt = \int (\frac{{v}}{A-Bv^{3}}) dv [/tex]

Now that the [tex] v [/tex] on top of the fraction is not a derivative of the bottom [tex]A-Bv^{3}[/tex], can you suggest a good way to integrate this function.
Thank you very much.

1. What is non-uniform acceleration in linear motion?

Non-uniform acceleration in linear motion refers to the change in velocity of an object that is not constant. In other words, the object is accelerating at a varying rate, rather than a constant rate.

2. How is non-uniform acceleration calculated?

Non-uniform acceleration can be calculated using the formula: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What is the difference between uniform and non-uniform acceleration?

Uniform acceleration is when an object's velocity changes by the same amount in each time period, while non-uniform acceleration is when an object's velocity changes at varying rates.

4. Can an object have non-uniform acceleration while moving at a constant speed?

Yes, an object can have non-uniform acceleration while moving at a constant speed if the direction of its motion is changing. This is known as centripetal acceleration.

5. How does non-uniform acceleration affect an object's position-time graph?

Non-uniform acceleration will cause the position-time graph to have a curved shape, rather than a straight line. The steeper the curve, the greater the object's acceleration. The slope of the curve at a given point represents the object's velocity at that point.