What is the best method for finding the argument of a complex number?

In summary: The question is not whether you can find the angle using arctan, arccos, arcsin, but rather, is it a good idea to always use these functions?
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

When finding the argument of a complex number using tan(\theta) = y/x (where z = x + iy), sometimes I do not get the correct answer. I assume this is because tangent is only defined for -pi/2 to pi/2 (and from this it is periodic).

So is it a good idea always to find the argument of a complex number using cosine and sine? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
if you use cos and sine, you should still get the same theta if you use tan. Think of it as a triangle, where z is the hypotenuse, x is the base, and y is the height.

noumed said:
if you use cos and sine, you should still get the same theta if you use tan. Think of it as a triangle, where z is the hypotenuse, x is the base, and y is the height.

As in the figure at the top of this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_plane

Niles said:

Homework Statement

Hi all.

When finding the argument of a complex number using tan(\theta) = y/x (where z = x + iy), sometimes I do not get the correct answer. I assume this is because tangent is only defined for -pi/2 to pi/2 (and from this it is periodic).

So is it a good idea always to find the argument of a complex number using cosine and sine? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Niles.
There is nothing wrong with using tangent (more correctly arctangent) as long as you keep track of the signs of x and y. For example if you find that y/x= 1, then arctan(1) could be [itex]\pi/4[/itex] or [itex]5\pi/4[/itex]. If you know that x and y are positive then you know the argument is [itex]\pi/4[/itex], if negative, [itex]5\pi/4[/itex].

First, thanks to all for replying.

But I can avoid all of this "confusion" by using sine or cosine? I mean, what if only x is negative and y is positive. Then using arctangent I have to add pi/2 to get the correct result.

What do you mean by "using" sine and cosine? Yes, [itex]tan(\theta)= y/x[/itex] can be interpreted as [itex]sin(\theta)= y/r[/itex] and [itex]cos(\theta)= x/r[/itex]. If you only find [itex]arcsin(y/r)[/itex] where y is positive, you still have two possible answers [itex]\theta[/itex] between 0 and [itex]\pi/2[/itex] and [itex]\pi/2- \theta[/itex]. You can, of course, decide which you want by looking at [itex]arccos(x/r)[/itex] but it seems to me simpler to just find [itex]\arctan(y/x)[/itex] and look at the signs of x and y. That way you don't have to calculate [itex]r= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/itex].

Perhaps getting to know the handy-dandy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_circle" will help you avoid this confusion? That way you'll get a sense on what happens when either X or Y is positive or negative.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what I can conclude from your answers is that there is no way using arctan, arccos or arcsin to find the "correct" angle all the time, but it depends on the values of x and y?

no, you can find the angle using arctan, arccos, arcsin if you know x,y, and z.
are you familiar with the term: SOHCAHTOA?

just remember that the answer can range from 0 to 2pi, because that depends on the signs of x and y.

Niles said:
So what I can conclude from your answers is that there is no way using arctan, arccos or arcsin to find the "correct" angle all the time, but it depends on the values of x and y?
You cannot determine it by using any ONE of those without taking the signs of x and y separately into account.

noumed said:
no, you can find the angle using arctan, arccos, arcsin if you know x,y, and z.
are you familiar with the term: SOHCAHTOA?

just remember that the answer can range from 0 to 2pi, because that depends on the signs of x and y.
I think you have misunderstood the question.

1. What is the argument of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number is the angle in radians that the complex number makes with the positive real axis on the complex plane. It is also known as the phase angle or the polar angle.

2. What is the range of the argument of a complex number?

The range of the argument of a complex number is from -π to π, or from 0 to 2π if using the principal value. This is because the argument measures the angle between the complex number and the positive real axis, and angles are cyclical with a period of 2π.

3. How is the argument of a complex number calculated?

The argument of a complex number can be calculated using the inverse tangent function, also known as arctan or tan-1. The formula is arg(z) = tan-1(b/a), where a is the real part of the complex number and b is the imaginary part.

4. Can the argument of a complex number be negative?

Yes, the argument of a complex number can be negative. This happens when the complex number is in the third or fourth quadrant of the complex plane, where the angle with the positive real axis is measured clockwise and is therefore negative.

5. How is the argument of a complex number used in mathematics?

The argument of a complex number is used in many areas of mathematics, including trigonometry, geometry, and complex analysis. It is often used to find roots of complex numbers, to solve equations involving complex numbers, and to represent complex numbers in polar form.