Calculating Angle in Two-Slit Experiment with High-Speed Protons

In summary: In this case, the slit separation is much smaller than the de Broglie wavelength of the protons, leading to a very small angle.In summary, a two-slit experiment is performed with protons at 0.825c and a slit separation of 2.00*10^-9 m. Using the equations for relativistic momentum and de Broglie wavelength, the angle between the center of the pattern and the second minimum is calculated to be very small. This is due to the small slit separation compared to the de Broglie wavelength of the protons. This small angle does not indicate an incorrect answer.
nnof55

Homework Statement

A stream of protons, each with a speed of 0.8250c, are directed into a two-slit experiment where the slit separation is 2.00 10-9 m. A two-slit interference pattern is built up on the viewing screen. What is the angle between the center of the pattern and the second minimum (to either side of the center)?

Homework Equations

p = mv
lambda = h/p
d*sin(theta) = (m + 1/2)*lambda

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to first solve for the wavelength in the experiment by using p = mv. With this I get:
p = (1.673E-27)*(0.8250)*(3E8)
p = 4.14E-19

Then I solve for the wavelength using lambda = h/p:
lambda = (6.63E-34) / (4.14E-19)
lambda = 1.6E-15

Once I have the wavelength, I use the double slit formula from Young's Experiment to try and calculate the angle, by using m = 1 and then solving for arcsin:
theta = arcsin ( m*lambda / d)
theta = arcsin ( 1.5*(1.6E-15) / (2E-9))

However this gives me a very small angle which obviously is the incorrect answer.

Am I approaching this completely wrong, or am I just goofing up somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

For protons at 0.825c, you might want to calculate the relativistic momentum

Thanks! I was able to calculate the correct angle using the relativistic momentum equation!

Also, a small angle is not necessarily incorrect. To obtain large angles, the slit separation has to be comparable to the wavelength of the wave. Particles with large momenta will have very small wavelengths.

1. What are electrons?

Electrons are subatomic particles that have a negative charge and are found orbiting the nucleus of an atom. They are considered one of the fundamental building blocks of matter.

2. What is the relationship between electrons and matter waves?

Matter waves, also known as de Broglie waves, describe the wave-like behavior of particles such as electrons. This concept was first proposed by Louis de Broglie in 1924 and is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics.

3. How do electrons behave in an atom?

Electrons in an atom exhibit both wave-like and particle-like properties. They are constantly in motion and can be found in specific energy levels or orbitals around the nucleus. These energy levels determine the chemical and physical properties of an element.

4. Can electrons exist in more than one place at once?

According to the principles of quantum mechanics, electrons can exist in multiple places at the same time. This is known as superposition and is a fundamental aspect of the wave-like behavior of particles.

5. What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and how does it relate to electrons?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle, such as an electron, simultaneously. This is due to the dual nature of particles as both waves and particles. The more accurately we know one property, the less we know about the other.