Advice on Enjoying & Doing Well in Chemistry for A-Level Student

• Thread starter Georgepowell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motivation
In summary, the individual is doing their A-Levels in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Chemistry. They are excelling in Maths and Physics, but struggling and not enjoying Chemistry. They are considering dropping the subject due to a lack of interest and a teacher who is unable to answer their questions beyond the syllabus. They became interested in Maths and Physics after reading "A Brief History of Time" and have since read many popular science books in those subjects. They are now looking for a good chemistry pop-science book and any other advice or recommendations.
Georgepowell
I am doing my A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

I am doing very well at F-Maths/Maths and physics. I'm getting 90-100% in the mock tests, but I'm just not enjoying or doing well in chemistry.

The teacher doesn't seem to have a deep understanding of the subject, so she can't answer my questions that are beyond the syllabus. I have not had a problem with revision or understanding with subjects that I enjoy, but chemistry at my school just bores me. I am considering dropping it.

I got interested in maths/physics when I read "A Brief History Of Time". I then went on to read a whole load of popular science books, and I find them all fascinating. But they were all physics/maths orientated.

Can someone recommend a good chemistry pop-science book? I'm not fussy, I think even knowledge beyond the syllabus is a motivator for me.

Any other advice/comments would be good.

Thanks

edit: I should have put this thread into the Academic Guidance section... Is there a way I can move it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

my advice would be to not give up on chemistry just yet. While it may not be your favorite subject, it is an important part of your A-Level curriculum and can open up many opportunities for you in the future. Here are a few tips that may help you enjoy and do well in chemistry:

1. Find a different source of information: If your teacher is not able to answer your questions, try finding other resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or even other teachers who may have a better understanding of the subject. This will not only help you understand the material better, but it may also spark your interest in chemistry.

2. Connect chemistry to your interests: Since you enjoy physics and maths, try finding ways to connect chemistry to these subjects. For example, chemistry plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of matter and energy, which are key concepts in physics. By making these connections, you may find chemistry more interesting and relevant to your interests.

3. Experiment and explore: Chemistry is a highly experimental subject, and sometimes it can be more fun to learn by doing rather than just reading from a textbook. Try conducting your own experiments or participating in science fairs to explore different aspects of chemistry that may interest you.

4. Read popular science books on chemistry: There are many popular science books that make chemistry more interesting and accessible to a wider audience. Some recommendations include "The Disappearing Spoon" by Sam Kean, "The Periodic Table" by Primo Levi, and "The Poisoner's Handbook" by Deborah Blum. These books not only cover the basics of chemistry but also delve into its history and real-world applications.

5. Seek help from others: Don't be afraid to ask for help from your peers or even your teacher. Sometimes discussing difficult concepts with others can help you understand them better and make the learning process more enjoyable.

Remember, it's completely normal to struggle with a subject and not enjoy it as much as others. However, with the right resources and approach, you may find that chemistry can be just as fascinating as physics and maths. Don't give up and keep exploring different ways to make chemistry more enjoyable for you. Good luck!

1. How can I improve my understanding of chemistry concepts?

The key to understanding chemistry is practice. Make sure you are actively engaging with the material by completing practice problems and reviewing your notes regularly. You can also seek help from your teacher or a tutor if you are struggling with a specific concept.

2. How can I stay organized in my chemistry class?

Staying organized is important for success in any subject, especially in a challenging subject like chemistry. Create a study schedule and stick to it, keep all of your notes and materials in one place, and review your notes regularly. This will help you stay on top of the material and manage your workload efficiently.

3. What are some effective study strategies for chemistry?

Some effective study strategies for chemistry include creating flashcards, making study guides, and teaching the material to someone else. It's also helpful to break up your study sessions into smaller chunks and take regular breaks to avoid burnout.

4. How can I do well on chemistry exams?

To do well on chemistry exams, make sure you have a solid understanding of the material by actively engaging with the material and practicing regularly. It's also important to review your notes and previous assignments before the exam and to manage your time effectively during the exam itself.

5. How can I make chemistry more enjoyable?

One way to make chemistry more enjoyable is to find real-life applications of the concepts you are learning. This can help you see the relevance and practicality of the subject. It's also helpful to study with a friend or form a study group to make the learning experience more enjoyable and interactive.